Zen and the Art of Fish Netting--Any one up for it?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

electromen

Aspiring Nudist
Apr 6, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
myspace.com
In one of my 75g, I find the easiest thing to do (although maybe not the safest for the fish) is to get my girlfriend to help. I'll be on one end of the tank, she'll be on the other. She'll trap the wanted fish in the corner and try have a "controlled scare" to get the fish to fly to the other side of the tank where I eagerly await.. As the fish approaches I play "goalie" and try to catch it in mid-swim.
We've found it to be quite effective and really entertaining. I'm getting quite good at it. It does have its negative effects though. The fish can ram pretty hard into the net, putting it into a stupor.. and my girlfriend will b*#ch at me about getting her arms wet..

DeBree420

AC Members
Feb 9, 2007
I had to catch a pictus cat that I felt had outgrown my 55g tank. (I've since switched to smaller schooling fish... but **** I loved that fish) The only way I could catch him was to use a 2L ziploc food container (rectangular, almost clear) set down in the bottom of the tank, and I had to chase him into it with my hand, which I wrapped a scrap of old pillow case (thoroughly rinsed) so as to give some protection against his spines. I had to take all of the plants and decorations out of the tank, and it took me **** near 20 minutes, but I finally managed to corral him into the container and scoop it out before he could swim back out. (I actually caught him 3 times before that, but he kept getting out before I could get the container out of the water) A pictus cat's fins will not get caught in bed sheets/pillow covers, so if you make a small bag out of one, it would be great for catching them also. (used by large catfish owners because its easy on the fish and lets water out of it slowly so as to minimize stress)
this is an awesome idea...i would like to cut one of my bigger nets and sew in bed sheet (using invisible thread[nylon]) but my worries are that the cotton or linen or worse (petro-chemical fabrics) would put bad trace elements into the water or do something not good to fishes slime coat? i am now trying to find a nylon alternative, as i know this is safe, but i guess you only use it for such a short time it shouldnt matter...i will just have to research the many possibilities!
thanks so much for the idea!:dance2:

know this may sound silly, but i have had success with clown loaches (VERY FAST!) using an 8inch fine net and dangling it in the water for ages until they sort of get used to it being there - one swam in to have alook (easy!) the next one swam behind it and I simply inverted the net and caught him!

the jug has also worked for me, large plastic jug, scooped up the female platty who was ready to release fry!

Good Luck!

Richard McC

AC Members
Jan 27, 2007
Canberra Australia
I think every angle has been covered here. I am a big fan of using two nets.

In my preferred way, the trick is to not chase the fish with a net. Set a (large) net in a likely place - this is the catch net.... keep it very still ...- and using a chase net, gently persuade the fish to swim to a spot above the catch net. Then, using a swift upwards motion, the fish ...et voila.. is yours!

After six or seven attempts, this usually works.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store