Zero NH3 / NO2 / NO3 ???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mpmistr

AC Members
May 21, 2012
This has been kind of bugging me the last two weeks. I'm using an API FW Master Kit and every time I test my Nitrate I get a 0ppm reading. I know the Nitrate test can be tricky but I know I am doing it correctly and I follow the instructions to the letter. I do the same test from the same kit on my 40 gallon breeder which houses three adult african clawed frogs and I always get a 5ppm to 10ppm reading which I know should be fairly accurate.

My stock in the 20 gallon high that has a 8 cardintal tetras, 5 black mollies (not a good combination, I know..), various small snails (ramshorn, pond) but I am not overrun with them and maybe 2 or 3 ghost shrimp. There's also a lone guppy and two very small zebra danio in this tank, they are left over fish from a tank I had to sell a while back unfortunately. This tank is probably slightly overstocked. The filtration is two Whisper 40i and a Whisper 10i, I do 25% PWC weekly.

When I saw my Nitrate was 0ppm on the test I quickly tested Ammonia and Nitrite, they also read as 0. The tank is planted with vallisneria, water wisteria, anubias, java fern and some floating plant which I believe is duckweed but it's not out of control because my filters agitate the surface of the water too much for it to spread like crazy.

My pH is stable at 7 and I keep my tank at 80F if that additional information is of any help. When it comes to feedings, I usually feed these fish every other day with a decent sized pinch of flake food. I've had no mysterious deaths in this tank, the only deaths I've had in the last few months are from one or two mollies jumping out (I believe a large molly was bullying them, as mollies do..) and a ghost shrimp died, but those things seem to die randomly so I don't really worry about that.

These readings just don't seem realistic. My 40B gets 25% partial water changes twice a week and is filtered by a Eheim 2217 and is more heavily planted than this 20G tank and it still has measurable nitrate readings so really this tank should too..

Any ideas?

Last edited:

mpmistr

AC Members
May 21, 2012
Since May 2012, it was broken down once to move it to another room but the filters+bio bags are the same to preserve the BB. I've gotten NO3 readings from this tank in the past, about a month ago I got a reading of about 10ppm.

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Plants will absorb nitrate from the water, if your tank is cycled, and heavily planted, your readings may be accurate. Your nitrate level could be very low.
How do your plants look? Do you dose ferts?

mpmistr

AC Members
May 21, 2012
Nah I do not dose fertilizers in my tanks, every thing seems to grow like crazy on its own. This tank actually had no plants until very recently when I moved plants from my 40B to this tank because my 40B was becoming an overrun jungle. My wisteria, anubias, and java fern are growing, I don't have any algae issues besides some green algae that grows on my driftwood because it's so close to my lights and I do get green hair algae growing out of one of my whisper filters but I just remove it by hand when it becomes a huge clump. My vals seem OK but they're melting a little here and there as recently relocated vals tend to do.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Plants eat nitrogen: Mystery solved. If you are getting 0ppm of N you may want to start looking for nutrient deficiency symptoms. For nitrogen its normally the yellowing and death of the lower leaves on the plant.

mpmistr

AC Members
May 21, 2012
Plants eat nitrogen: Mystery solved. If you are getting 0ppm of N you may want to start looking for nutrient deficiency symptoms. For nitrogen its normally the yellowing and death of the lower leaves on the plant.
I suppose I will keep my eye open for signs of nutritional deficiencies in my plants then.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store