Zero nitrate in established tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
I just got my nitrite and nitrate tests and tested my 30g (one young 2.5" eastern painted turtle, 4 feeder guppies).

pH: 7.0*
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0 (?!)

Zero ammonia and nitrite I was expecting because the tank is established, but zero nitrate? I followed the test instructions to the letter, including all the "vigorous" shaking. I shook that test tube like nobody's business. I do about 20% water change weekly, but the last one was 4 days ago. So, why no nitrate? I am having some significant algae right now and the only thing I can think of is that the algae is eating it all up. Is that even possible?

*For all the wonderful folks who helped me sort out my pH problem, the cuttlebone seems to be working. Yay! Next on the shopping list: gH/KH test!

colinsk

On the fringe...
Dec 18, 2008
Ca
www.designerinlight.com
Plants use Nitrate as a nutrient. In my fish only aquarium I always have nitrates even with twice a week 33% changes. I am starting to plant plants to help control this.

colinsk

On the fringe...
Dec 18, 2008
Ca
www.designerinlight.com
Yes, I know plants (including algae) use nitrate, I just find it hard to believe that the algae is taking in ALL of the nitrate. The only other plant in there is one very sad, very small java fern. (It was sad when I got it---not my fault!)
When I had a diatom bloom it pulled the nitrates to 0 for a week in my heavily stocked tank. As soon as the growth slowed it came right back. For people regulating nitrates with plant growth they have to grow lots of plant mattter. Which means lots of prunning.

Egress

AC Members
Jan 17, 2006
California, USA
I don't think I would trust those results just yet. I'd suggest trying it on a different aquarium, but based on your sig that might be difficult. Does the kit have an expiration date? I use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals kits, each bottle has a manufacture date on it. A local Petsmart was selling kits that were 5 years old, at that age they would range from questionable to totally useless.

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
I don't think I would trust those results just yet. I'd suggest trying it on a different aquarium, but based on your sig that might be difficult. Does the kit have an expiration date? I use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals kits, each bottle has a manufacture date on it. A local Petsmart was selling kits that were 5 years old, at that age they would range from questionable to totally useless.
I'll check the bottles when I get home, but I just bought them from bigalsonline.com, so I would certainly hope they're not expired!

avionics30

San Diego Discus
Nov 18, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.sandiegodiscus.com
Zero nitrate is not that uncommon in my experience especially with either low stock or plant growth (even algae). If you don't have live plants and are getting algae, I would check phosphate next. Your test set is probably right on target!

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
I'd find it hard to believe, especially since IME turtles produce a ton of waste. Are you totally sure that you're following the directions for the nitrate kit to the letter? Other than that, I would suspect an expired/faulty test kit. It would suck if you just bought the kit and got an expired one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store