zip-tying lights to a metal stand?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
I have a metal frame stand for my 40g, and am planning to re-do the ugly DIY light rack I currently have setup. the plan is the zip-tie some pieces of wood to the back legs of the stand and have clamp lamps attached to them.. should I worry about any structural problems with that setup? the (fairly minimal) weight of the lamps would be supported by the two back legs, if that makes any sense, and held in place by plastic zip-ties.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I'd say go for it..no issues.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I'd pop for the really big ones used for HVAC flexible duct work just for safety's sake, but they'll work.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
I wouldnt see any issues with it. I too would probably go for the bigger ones rather than standard ones.

kenjivaj

AC Members
Mar 1, 2012
Fresno, CA
Real Name
xue
Don't use zip ties. They will not last a lifetime. Give it 3-6 years it will break on you. Wear and tear. Just use metal clamps to clamp the metal leg to wood. The wood on the back of stand has to touch the ground. So the wood with light setup weight will not be completely on the metal stand.

moonstream

AC Members
Nov 5, 2007
Real Name
Jayne
okay, I'll see if I can get some metal clamps then.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store