zombie fish!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lark

AC Members
Feb 8, 2004
Visit site
I am seriously stumped. I have a tank of fish from "The Night of the Living Dead." It is a ten gallon with 6 white clouds, 4 of them are Golden White Clouds, and five large fry. It is planted with Java Moss and Java Fern and did have a bunch of Hornwort. I do a twenty percent water change once a week as well as vacum the gravel and rinse the filter media and have had no problems with water quality. The tank itself has been up for four months and has housed fish for three months.

One morning, I wake up, turn the tank light on, and notice a fish, one of the Golden White Clouds upside down, looking very dead. Every so often she would right herself and swim very erratically before coming to a rest among some plants again, her body floating at an odd angle and breathing heavily.

After leaving briefly( 15 minutes), to take my SO, to work, I return and find that the fish seems perfectly fine. She eats, very voraciously, with the rest of them and is completely active and energetic. Still, I test the water and find that the water is excellent. There is no Ammonia or Nitrite, and the Nitrate barely registers. My first guess is that perhaps a pocket of gas escaped from the gravel. I also, worried about the plants and so removed the bunch (ALOT) of hornwort. I do a twenty percent water change, vacum the gravel, and decide to just watch and wait.

Well, a full day passes and the fish has had no other problems. Then this morning the same thing happens again, only this time to a different fish! Though, it was also a Golden White Cloud. Again the water checks out and I can find no other symptoms. I am very concerned that there may be something spreading in the tank.

The only thing I have noticed is that it happens immediately after the light comes on. I thought that maybe the fish are being bullied and stressed and so when the light comes on they are "stunned." I always have ambient lightings on first though. So I am not sure. Any clues?

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I am going to hazard a guess at what it could be. they could be eateing so rapidly and excessively that they are getting some air into thier bellies, making their equilibrium off. once that passes they are fine again.

or they could just be not morning fish like some people, takes abit to wake em up.... lol

could be stress after spawning...

but that is only grasping at straws based on what you have said.

lark

AC Members
Feb 8, 2004
Visit site
Its alive...ALIVE!!!!

Well,

I think I may have a clue. I think it has something to do with electricity. I am not sure but, I think a combination of condensation, I have been keeping the water level higher than usual, and the open hood design is causing a spark or something to jump like a little lightening bolt to whichever fish happens to be there to get caught. Usually when I approach the tank they swim to the top so they are within range. Sound plausible? I have kept the light off and have not had a repeat and all the fish otherwise look healthy.

The fish really looked dead. They turned upside down and just sort of floated for a bit before having little spasms before recuperating. I have lowered the water level and so hope that might help. I am also considering a different hood and maybe getting the wiring checked out professionally. I don't want to be next.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store