Zoo Med Aquasun T5 HO Buzz Noise

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aptos

AC Members
Sep 15, 2008
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a Zoo Med Aquasun T5 HO fixture. It was making an audible buzzing noise (sounds like a noisy balast buzz), so I returned it to my LFS in exchange for another one, and it seems even louder! It's louder than my HOT Magnum filter. I took it in to the LFS and we opened up two other fixtures and they made the same noise. It was hard to hear in the store, maybe because of the ambient noise.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with T5 HO fixtures and could fill me in about your experience with the buzzing noise.

Could it be poor quality electricity or anything like that?

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
depends on the type of ballast they use.

most magnetic ballasts buzz.

most electronic ballasts don't buzz, but emit RFI

Not sure about the specific fixture you have, but I would be surprised if it has a magnetic ballast in it.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
i would return and buy a different brand. have you emailed the company and asked why the lights they sell make a loud buzzing?

Aptos

AC Members
Sep 15, 2008
i would return and buy a different brand. have you emailed the company and asked why the lights they sell make a loud buzzing?
This all took place today (Saturday), and Zoo Med is closed until Monday. Although they should be easy to contact since their factory is in my town.

I'll ask them what kind of ballast they use on Monday. Pretty lame that all their fixtures buzz.

EDIT: Just checked their website and it says "High Output T5 electronic ballast," and it's still buzzing louder than the noise my filter makes.

Chrisk-K

Theodore P. Charles Fellow of AC
Dec 1, 2009
Maryland
I use an AquaticLife T5HO and a Coralife T5HO and they are dead silent.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
my nova extreme seems dead silent to me.

Chrisk-K

Theodore P. Charles Fellow of AC
Dec 1, 2009
Maryland
The OP should get another brand. The only light fixture that's buzzing at my home is a cheap all-glass T8 fixture that I use for a 10g QT.

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
the buzzing is probably coming from the transformer inside... either that or a capacitor or maybe even an RF choke... solid electronic components can, surprisingly, emit sounds... especially high-voltage electronics

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store