Zucchini Death Brawl

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bluetik

AC Members
Dec 10, 2008
Sunny Florida
So, I noticed my tank was getting a little thin on Diatoms :thm:, so I decided to treat my 3 otos with a nice slice of blanched zucchini in a veggie clip. I always slice the zucchini lengthwise, as the otos appear to like the skin.

I put it in at night after lights out -- about a 6 inch strip of sliced zucchini. I fed them quite a bit of zucchini during their QT, and I could rarely even tell where they had been nibbling -- such dainty eaters :).

Well, this morning, the zuke was still on the clip, but there were huge gaping holes in it -- no oto did this! Later, I come out, and the entire piece has been ripped from the clip and decimated. I found a few 2 cm scraps hiding out under my red melon swords. And one of my gold gourami is now sporting a badly split dorsal fin. I don't know if the gold and cherry barbs were involved in this zucchini theft -- they are merely parties of interest at the moment. Prime suspects are the two Gold Gourami.

Is the logical conclusion that I have been underfeeding these Gourami?? I hope my Otos got to have at least a nibble.:mad:

bluetik

AC Members
Dec 10, 2008
Sunny Florida
No Plecos....

This is what I currently have in the tank:
2 Gold Gourami
4 Golden Barbs
6 Cherry Barbs
3 Otos

I might have to put some more in and spy on them to figure out what's going on -- maybe I'll set up a spy camera! ;)

leeser28

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
I fed my tank zucchini for the first time yesterday and all of the fish LOVED it. I actually chopped it up into little pieces raw, and then sank a big piece to the bottom for my pleco. The one fish that was most interested in the little pieces -- my gourami! My bet is on the gouramis tearing it down. I hope your injured one gets better soon!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store