Zucchini! It's Not Just for Plecos Anymore!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
I think everyone must have a pleco in at least one of their tanks and I'm sure you've read the information on their dietary needs in the Catfish and Bottom Feeders forum. If you haven't, well, it's a wonderful sticky written by ChileRelleno and you can read it here:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46284

Now, after reading this wonderful article I followed the directions and stuck a 3" zucchini in the tank that has my pleco in it. He ignored it for a half day and then he just went WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! The only time I see him NOT eating the zucchini is when he's doing his job.

The interesting thing that I noticed was that my two clown loaches were also eating it, as well as my platies!

So I threw a piece in my 36g, which is pleco-less. Lo and behold, the kuhli loaches, who dearly love to hide at times, are ALWAYS at the front of the tank going to town on the veggie (actually a fruit, but we won't go there today :eek: ). They LOVE it! I think it's a loach thing, really.

Then I saw my rainbow fish eating it. The shrimp. The Mystery Snail. Everyone was munching away except the corycats. Seems not to be their style. Boy, they must be missing out on a yummy treat!

So, anyhow, if you want to make sure your fish get some good veggies and stuff, follow the instructions in ChileRelleno's post and throw in a zucchini!

Food for thought (pardon the pun)

Roan

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Roan Art said:
Everyone was munching away except the corycats. Seems not to be their style. Boy, they must be missing out on a yummy treat!
My cories love zucchini, too (and tetras, zebra danios and gourami). There's a lot of excitement on zucchini night.

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
even my koi and goldfish in my pond like zucchini

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
I just saw two of my cories eating it last night. Either they just took a while to try it or there isn't enough room at the table for everyone. Gonna have to set some more places and add more zucchini :)

Roan

nlmadison

AC Members
Sep 16, 2005
I feed zucchini regularly. I've found that my Yellow Labs love the stuff as do my Mystery snail, chinese algae eater and red-finned shark. The angels will take an occasional nibble but the danios don't seem interested. I've also found that they enjoy cucumber and an occasional piece of bok choy. I really like that they eat the fresh foods. The uneaten bits are easily removed and don't foul the tank.

N.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
nlmadison said:
cucumber and an occasional piece of bok choy. I really like that they eat the fresh foods.
Me too! I'm gonna try spinach and some other veggies listed in that pleco post.

The uneaten bits are easily removed and don't foul the tank.
I like this the best, I think. It's so easy to overfeed (for me, anyhow) and this way I know I'm not fouling the tank with junk. I also notice that loose bits they will suck into the filter intake nicely and it's easy to remove those.

Roan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store