Zucchini tips for ottos?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sixstringphil

AC Members
May 26, 2008
I've finally got my otto eating zucchini after several attempts. But I have a few questions...

1. Do you think bigger/smaller slices seem to work better? (quantity of food isn't an issue since he's the only one)

2. How long can I leave it in there? He usually won't touch it until the second day, then he won't come off of it. At that point, it starts getting "furry." (which he REALLY seems to love)

Since there's not much algae in my tank, I'm trying to mix it up with some algae wafers and zucchini. I've heard sweet peas work well, but I don't kown exacly how that would work (prep/placement/etc)

Thanks!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You can slightly cook the squash, zap for a few seconds. I don't leave veggies in longer than 24 hours, usually just overnight. Use a net to remove if it's really squishy & messy.

Try shrimp pellet, break off a tiny piece & stick in the zucchini.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
I also prefer to use lengthwise slices. They seem to hold up better and give a larger surface area for the fish to nibble on.

Squeakfish

Fight the current!
Jan 9, 2008
SoCal
It's a good thing that it's "furry" - the oto has more to rasp off this way. I just leave mine in until it's all eaten, but most of my fish enjoy biting off pieces as well.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
I put a piece of boiled zuchini about 3 inches by 1/2 inch for my 5 otos. (at the time) Next morining, it was still there, not even a little bit was eaten.

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
Try blanching it (microwaving it in water until soft) then putting it in the tank. I have found that if I don't blanch it, my pleco will start eating it almost right away but the otos won't touch it until its been in the tank for about 24 hours and softened up a bit. Blanching the veggies just speeds up the softening process so your oto will have an easier time rasping on it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store