LPS SPS Please explain?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

g. mcclean

AC Members
Mar 26, 2003
new jersey
Visit site
I am having a difficult time with some of the abbreviations. Please explain what LPS and SPS are in regards to coral. I am just getting the hang of photosynthetic and non-photosynthetic. Thanks for your help.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Both LPS and SPS are stony corals. The SPS and LPS terms are only used in hobbyist circles, as they have no scientific definition. LPS stands for 'large polyed stony' and SPS for 'small polyed stony'. Though some of the corals we refer to as SPS have larger polyps than some of the LPS and vice-a-versa.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Although they aren't scientific definitions, they are somewhat helpful. In general, sps like acropora (e.g., staghorn) or montipora need more intense lighting and higher water quality than lps, and sps aren't as aggressive. LPS, like hammer coral or bubble coral are easier to keep, but can send sweeper tentacles to attack nearby corals. Now I fully expect to be flamed for the above overgeneralizations, and one should always be careful to learn about the specific needs and bad habits of a coral one wants to keep. They are all photosynthetic, by the way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store