PDA

View Full Version : Largest Cat You've Kept / Seen in captivity

cubano
01-02-2004, 9:11 PM
What's the largest cat you've ever kept or seen in captivity.

Largest I've kept was a 12" Common Pleco - Largest I've seen was a 30" Red Tail cat at a local LFS, They actually fed the thing frozen mice, which I witnessed a few times.

clayt101
01-02-2004, 9:41 PM
Kept: 17 inch common pleco
Seen: Red Tail Catfish, probably about 30 inches as well

Grandmastr
01-03-2004, 11:22 AM
i saw a 4 foot albino channel cat a long time ago

dethjam316
01-03-2004, 9:26 PM
i've also seen channel cats over 3 or 4 feet. and plecos are 18". red tail cats about 1' is the biggest i've ever seen one live. big suckers, though.

cubano
01-03-2004, 9:27 PM
Holy Fish Sh*T!! where was that thing? a public aquarium?

blitzen25bm
01-04-2004, 3:34 AM
my aunts house in thailand had mekong catfish. this was when i was like 5 (15-16 years ago) but then their house was built over a pond, coolest thing ever dont remember how big they were but they looked like they could have eaten me.

lukeant1
01-06-2004, 1:09 PM
my dads friend use to keep a red tailed catfish in a six foot tank and it grew to 1 metre and 20 cm 's in length

mrbigisbudgood
01-06-2004, 1:14 PM
Depends on how you define captivity.

About 7 years ago, I caught a few channel cat from the Spoon River in Illinios and stocked them into my grandfathers pond.

My uncle caught one of them or their offspring last year at around 3 feet long.

bennylax3
01-07-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by blitzen25bm
my aunts house in thailand had mekong catfish. this was when i was like 5 (15-16 years ago) but then their house was built over a pond, coolest thing ever dont remember how big they were but they looked like they could have eaten me.

I read in an aquairum book that a story about a wildlife photgrapher witnessing a small child beening sucked under and swallowd by a gaint catfish. the local villgers caught the fish quickly and cut the child out. the story says the child survied. cant remeber if it was south america or asia

Dakota
01-11-2004, 12:49 AM
I used to have 2 x Salmon Catfish, both about 12" long in a 6 ft tank. I only had them for about 4 weeks because at first I thought they would look great in the tank, but they just made a total mess of the place, I couldn't put anything else in there, no plants nothing because they just destroyed everything...

Although they were amazing to watch, beautiful fish, and the only thing I found to be able to feed them properly was to go and buy smaller fish to feed them to them... this was so expensive in the end!!

daveedka
01-31-2004, 4:53 PM
Aquarium adventure one of the LFS's here in Columbus Ohio used to keep and sell Catfish in excess of 24" mostly channels and blues. I haven't been by there for a while so I don't know what they have now. Tiger Shovelnose are listed as growing to 50" I have had a couple but sold them before they passed 12" Somewhere it mentions that the will bust the end out of your tank if they don't have enough swimming space.