PDA

View Full Version : Tiger barb

DancingYaks
12-31-2009, 11:11 PM
Hi all,
For christmas, I recieved a 30 gallon aquarium. I stocked it with 5 tiger barbs, a live plant and a fake one. ( I only got five tiger barbs because the guy at the pet store said that if I got too many fish before my tank has cycled, I would be overwhelmed by faeces.) One of the tiger barbs had ich, so I began treatment for ich (raising the tempurature to 80-82 F, adding the proper amount of aquarium salt.) The next morning the one with ich died, along with another one. So I did a 30% water change with my aquarium vacuum. Now I have 3 left, and they all hide in the corner or in the plants. occasionally they come out slowly, then all dart back in a school. They also hang out about one inch above the bottom, unless their in the plant. Is this normal?

Any help will be awesome.

petluvr
12-31-2009, 11:13 PM
You should probably read up on the cycling process.

DancingYaks
12-31-2009, 11:35 PM
I have read up on tank cycling. The question was about the tiger barbs.

DancingYaks
12-31-2009, 11:49 PM
Here's a video of their behavior.
rr69BB2LL_E

If that doesn't work, here's a link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr69BB2LL_E&feature=player_embedded

Rbishop
01-01-2010, 6:00 AM
It may take a while for them to get use to the tank. When you did the water change, did you add more salt? (table salt works just fine btw).

Do you have a good liquid test kit? What are the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings on the tank? On your tap replacement water?

Michwol42795
01-01-2010, 10:06 AM
To me it sounds like you stocked the tank too fast. 5 fish in one day for an uncycled aquarium just doesn't sound good to me.

DancingYaks
01-01-2010, 1:58 PM
It may take a while for them to get use to the tank. When you did the water change, did you add more salt? (table salt works just fine btw).

Do you have a good liquid test kit? What are the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings on the tank? On your tap replacement water?

I have added salt, but I only have 2 test kits. One for pH and another for nitrates.

joel.uejio
01-01-2010, 2:13 PM
Barbs like to be in schools so they're hiding b/c you only have 3 I bet. If your tank was cycled I would suggest adding more, but since you're doing a fish-in cycle (and dealing with ich), I would recommend:

+ Get a liquid test kit as Rbishop suggested so you can monitor ammonia / nitrite / nitrate
+ Add more plants so your barbs won't feel so "exposed"
+ Continue treating for ich with heat and salt (I think the suggested plan is something like treat for 10 days after visible signs disappear)

Once you've got things stabilized you can then build up your school.

Good luck!

Michwol42795
01-01-2010, 3:23 PM
Good plan!

DancingYaks
01-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Hey everybody, two more died, so now there is only one left. It appears to have red spots by its gills.

petluvr
01-02-2010, 12:39 AM
They are dying because your tank is not cycled the red is ammonia burn. Do a large water change immediately.

Michwol42795
01-02-2010, 8:55 AM
I agree with petluvr, have you gotten more test kits for ammonia and nitrites?

yada
01-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Take remaining fish back to pet store, raise cain demand money back. Drain and clean tank, gravel, refill with ro water, and some good used aquarium water. Plant several plants, let pumps run a week check water every few days until it gets right, then add fish.

I've killed a lot of fish figuring this out.

Kevin S.
01-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Take remaining fish back to pet store, raise cain demand money back. Drain and clean tank, gravel, refill with ro water, and some good used aquarium water. Plant several plants, let pumps run a week check water every few days until it gets right, then add fish.

I've killed a lot of fish figuring this out.
When u bring the remaining fish back and "raise cain" they will ask you for a sample of your aquarium water which with an uncycled tank will show ridiculous amounts of ammonia and they will tell you this is the reason your fish died and not refund you money. I would do and immediate 50% water change and try to find some established filter media from a LFS or friends tank. Then test with an liquid test kit until parameters are at an appropriate level before adding any fish. The fish store is running a business and obviously doesnt care about anything more than getting you to buy. As a fishkeeper you alone are responsible for educating yourself and prepping a proper environment before purchasing.

Linda S
01-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Information on cycling the tank IS about the fish. Read the sticky, get the test kits, and do a proper cycle of your tank, and then add fish.

livebearerfreak
01-02-2010, 4:27 PM
dude do u have a friend with a tank? if not thhen just go to the petstore and ask for some of there gravel/water/media/filter. there useing and add that to the tank u set up then u should wait a few days then check the water to see if ur cycled

67chevelle
01-02-2010, 5:26 PM
Tiger barbs are actually pretty hardy fish.If you are going to do a fishy cycle,they are one of the ones to use. The thing with cycling with fish is the amount of time and effort it takes to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels low enough not to kill the fish. You will need to do 50% water changes,maybe more, daily until the cycle completes.It can take 4 to 6 weeks,possibly more.
Since it sounds like you are staring over,I would find some pure ammonia,and go that route.Fishless cycling is easier,IMO,and may be faster.It is hard to look at a empty tank for a month,but it is a lot easier in the end.

Michwol42795
01-02-2010, 8:45 PM
I agree with livebearerfreak and 67chevelle. It's good to transfer filter media/substrate/water from an already cycled tank. Also, if you want to do a fish cycle then only add one fish at a time and follow 67 chevelle's advice, or just do the fishless cycle. Either way is fine.

milesalive
01-02-2010, 9:02 PM
definatly ammonia burns