Tiger barb

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

yada

AC Members
May 2, 2003
Visit site
Take remaining fish back to pet store, raise cain demand money back. Drain and clean tank, gravel, refill with ro water, and some good used aquarium water. Plant several plants, let pumps run a week check water every few days until it gets right, then add fish.

I've killed a lot of fish figuring this out.

Kevin S.

Barb Wired
Jan 3, 2009
Derry, NH
Take remaining fish back to pet store, raise cain demand money back. Drain and clean tank, gravel, refill with ro water, and some good used aquarium water. Plant several plants, let pumps run a week check water every few days until it gets right, then add fish.

I've killed a lot of fish figuring this out.
When u bring the remaining fish back and "raise cain" they will ask you for a sample of your aquarium water which with an uncycled tank will show ridiculous amounts of ammonia and they will tell you this is the reason your fish died and not refund you money. I would do and immediate 50% water change and try to find some established filter media from a LFS or friends tank. Then test with an liquid test kit until parameters are at an appropriate level before adding any fish. The fish store is running a business and obviously doesnt care about anything more than getting you to buy. As a fishkeeper you alone are responsible for educating yourself and prepping a proper environment before purchasing.

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
Information on cycling the tank IS about the fish. Read the sticky, get the test kits, and do a proper cycle of your tank, and then add fish.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
dude do u have a friend with a tank? if not thhen just go to the petstore and ask for some of there gravel/water/media/filter. there useing and add that to the tank u set up then u should wait a few days then check the water to see if ur cycled

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
Tiger barbs are actually pretty hardy fish.If you are going to do a fishy cycle,they are one of the ones to use. The thing with cycling with fish is the amount of time and effort it takes to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels low enough not to kill the fish. You will need to do 50% water changes,maybe more, daily until the cycle completes.It can take 4 to 6 weeks,possibly more.
Since it sounds like you are staring over,I would find some pure ammonia,and go that route.Fishless cycling is easier,IMO,and may be faster.It is hard to look at a empty tank for a month,but it is a lot easier in the end.

Michwol42795

CanTANKerous
Dec 28, 2009
Chattanooga, TN
I agree with livebearerfreak and 67chevelle. It's good to transfer filter media/substrate/water from an already cycled tank. Also, if you want to do a fish cycle then only add one fish at a time and follow 67 chevelle's advice, or just do the fishless cycle. Either way is fine.

milesalive

AC Members
Apr 22, 2009
Kalamazoo,MI
definatly ammonia burns

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store