PDA

View Full Version : Bloodworms vs Mosquito Larvae?

Nuts4fish
10-05-2004, 8:51 AM
What is the diference between bloodworms and mosquito larvae? Are they the same, just coloring difference because of their food source? Which has a higher nutritional value for a community tank, Angels and loaches?

OrionGirl
10-05-2004, 9:19 AM
Bloodworms are a worm, while mosquito larvae are just that--the larval stage of a mosquito. In terms of nutrition, I think blood worms have slightly more protien. Rather than going with either/or, I'd use a mix, alternating as you run out of one. The variety will be better for the fish. Are you looking at frozen, freeze dried, or fresh?

PumaWard
10-05-2004, 2:26 PM
Bloodworms are a worm

Actually, the bloodworms fed to fish are a midge-fly larvae which is similiar to a mosquito but most midge flies don't bite.

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/dictionaries/animals/data/m0063586.html

OrionGirl
10-05-2004, 2:46 PM
Not all--the cultured live blood worms are an aquatic worm--I thought. At least, they multiplied and never metamorphed into a fly...Hmmm. Guess I've never paid that much attention to the frozen ones, since I don't feed them often anymore.

Tim Bo
10-05-2004, 5:46 PM
Although I'm fairly sure the protein % is higher in bloodworms, I don't feed the wigglers very often - have had a couple bad experiences with disease. Live mosquito larvae have never given me problems.

Haggisman
10-05-2004, 6:56 PM
Not all--the cultured live blood worms are an aquatic worm--I thought. At least, they multiplied and never metamorphed into a fly...Hmmm. Guess I've never paid that much attention to the frozen ones, since I don't feed them often anymore.

Nah they are midge larvae, you might be thinking of tubifex worms(they might be larve too though).

coolwade
10-05-2004, 7:09 PM
Nah they are midge larvae, you might be thinking of tubifex worms(they might be larve too though).

Spot on. I think that my fishies like Bloodworms more then Mossie Larvea.

Captain Hook
10-05-2004, 7:31 PM
I think it partially depends on the fish as to which is more healthy for it. Mosquito larvae is possibly the best food you can feed your rainbowfish because it resembles their natural diet. However both bloodworms and larvae are quality foods I'd say. Anything alive or was once alive is usually good.

San Francisco Bay Frozen White Mosquito Larvae (glassworms)

Crude Protein Min 5.40%
Crude Fat Min 1.10%
Crude Fiber Max 1.00%
Moisture Max 93.00%
Dry Protein 77%

vs. San Francisco Bay Frozen Bloodworms

Crude Protein Min 4.50%
Crude Fat Min 0.20%
Crude Fiber Max 0.70%
Moisture Max 95.00%
Dry Protein 90.00%

Tim Bo
10-05-2004, 8:13 PM
I think it partially depends on the fish as to which is more healthy for it. Mosquito larvae is possibly the best food you can feed your rainbowfish because it resembles their natural diet. However both bloodworms and larvae are quality foods I'd say. Anything alive or was once alive is usually good.

San Francisco Bay Frozen White Mosquito Larvae (glassworms)

Crude Protein Min 5.40%
Crude Fat Min 1.10%
Crude Fiber Max 1.00%
Moisture Max 93.00%
Dry Protein 77%

vs. San Francisco Bay Frozen Bloodworms

Crude Protein Min 4.50%
Crude Fat Min 0.20%
Crude Fiber Max 0.70%
Moisture Max 95.00%
Dry Protein 90.00%

i'm suprised at the nutritional value of mosquito larvae - figured they would be much lower that blood worms, especially in terms of crude fiber. I guess my fish are lucky to have such a considerate caregiver like me! I definitely agree on the importance of live foods being beneficial to fish that find them in their natural habitat i.e. guppies and gouramis.

I do wonder how the above mentioned nutritional data varies throughout the natural world.

NatakuTseng
10-06-2004, 9:10 AM
There are two critters that are given the name of bloodworm. One is the midge larvae that most of us feed our fish in a frozen form. The other is an actual marine worm that is often used for bait. So no one is wrong here since there are actually two seperate species with the common name of bloodworm.

Nuts4fish
10-06-2004, 10:01 AM
I purchased Frozen Bloodworms last night and fed it to my Angels which are in a grow out tank at present. They went nuts for them. The clerk at the LFS indicated frozen are more readily accepted. I will be also feeding them as a treat to my other tanks as well. I still use flakes as the main food and plan to alternate frozen brine shrimp and the bloodworms as a treat.

Is there anything else, nutrition wise, I should be feeding??

Thanks for your responses.

NatakuTseng
10-06-2004, 2:03 PM
Flakes, Pellets, other frozen foods, freeze dried foods, and live foods. The larger the variety the better for the fish.

RTR
10-06-2004, 4:51 PM
I agree w/NatakuTseng. The live worm sold as "bloodworms" in many LFS is an aquatic worm which may be cultured, a relative of the "California blackworms" and neither of those are tubifex. But historically and more correctly, bloodworms are midge fly larve, normally available only as frozen. The red form of the aquatic worm really needs a common name of its own.