PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to clean your aquarium with Dawn?

jay733
06-07-2006, 1:42 PM
My sis gave me her old empty aquarium and it's been gathering a lot of dust in the garage, for she's hasn't used it in 2 years. How should I clean this aquarium before I put any fish or ornaments inside? She said that I should not use dish washer soap such as Dawn, to clean it, which frankly I find hard to believe, and that I should just rinse it with water or use salt to clean it. Is this true?

Hannys_Papa
06-07-2006, 1:45 PM
Don't use ANY soaps/ detergents.
Vinegar works good on stains/ calcium buildup. Bleach (unscented) to clean and disinfect and then plenty of rinsing and letting it air dry.

Debra Mark
06-07-2006, 1:52 PM
Hot water and elbow grease works wonders.... ;)

mduros
06-07-2006, 2:00 PM
Debra's right. When I inherited my 55 gallon, it was a mess! Basically, I sprayed it in the yard with a garden hose for about 45 minutes, wiping the nastiest spots with paper towels, and spraying some more until it was clean.
Take care,
Mary.

Roan Art
06-07-2006, 2:02 PM
Bleach, lots of water to rinse, and dechlorinator to get rid of any left over bleach.

Never use soap or anything that contains a surfacant at all.

Roan

Jericho
06-07-2006, 3:19 PM
As stated no soap. Soap leaves a film that is almost impossible to remove and it is harmful to the fish.

fishyaddict
06-07-2006, 3:33 PM
We use white vinegar and really hot water, then scrub well with an algae scrubber to get the stuff that doesnt just rinse right off. Then rinse real well w/more hot water. It's worked real well on all of the used tanks that we have gotten and look like they would be a headache to clean.

Even on the used 125g tank we got, i just filled it up next to the sink, put in the vinegar and some elbow grease, then did a syphen to empty out the dirty water, then just repeated to rinse it down good. After that it looked like new.

As all the others said, definitely not dish soap... it's not worth the risk when any of the other methods work just as good and are safer on the fish if any is left over in the tank.

rrkss
06-07-2006, 3:47 PM
Soap residue corrodes the gills causing the fish to die a painful death by suffocation. Viniger and bleach are good enough to clean even the worst fish tank.

jay733
06-07-2006, 4:36 PM
oh ok, thanks guys for the tip :)

OrionGirl
06-07-2006, 4:46 PM
Oxiclean is also a safe option for cleaning tanks and equipment. Fill with hot water, stir in several cups of it to dissolve, wait about 30 minutes. Scrub any stained areas. Drain, rinse. The oxiclean rinses clean quickly, no nasty residue.

kmgriff72
06-07-2006, 5:22 PM
I used bleach to clean out my SW tank and I am going to do FW. I rinsed the tank very well but how long do I let it sit before starting again. I used straight undiluted bleach as advised to clean up the tank and was wondering how long to wait before filling it up with water?

fishieperson321
06-07-2006, 5:23 PM
I lost my impeller and it unluckilly landed in my dirty clothes and got washed with Gain and then dried in the dryer. Is it safe to use? I soaked it in vinegar for 3 hours. Is it safe to use? Should I just buy another one? I dropped it after I cleaned the filter and lost the impeller so I used a different filter. I just now found it and I am wondering if it is safe.

OrionGirl
06-07-2006, 5:53 PM
When using bleach--if you can still smell the bleach, it's not safe. You can fill it up and dose it with a good dechlor and call it good, or let it dry for about 24 hours. Either works.

For anything that HAS been exposed to a surfacant, rinsing with bleach or giving it an oxylcean bath will work, particularly for hard plastics and glass. I would never trust something highly porous, like a sponge, or wood, but denser materials are easier to clean.

Roan Art
06-07-2006, 7:07 PM
When using bleach--if you can still smell the bleach, it's not safe. You can fill it up and dose it with a good dechlor and call it good, or let it dry for about 24 hours. Either works.

For anything that HAS been exposed to a surfacant, rinsing with bleach or giving it an oxylcean bath will work, particularly for hard plastics and glass. I would never trust something highly porous, like a sponge, or wood, but denser materials are easier to clean.
What she said :)

Soak the impeller in unscented bleach and scrub it, just to be safe. Rinse well and use dechlor in the final rinse. You should be good to go.

Roan

Chickieepooh2u
06-07-2006, 9:54 PM
I've used vinegar alone, baking soda alone, the two combined, and elbow grease. NEVER SOAP!! I've heard you can use oxy clean but I've never tried it.

beatle
06-08-2006, 9:41 AM
Razor blade for the tough stuff. :)

nursie
06-08-2006, 11:20 AM
:D I do like my straight edge razor blades!!
Much more reliable than plecos.

Debra Mark
06-08-2006, 2:16 PM
Oh, and by the way....it IS okay to clean your aquarium with Dawn.....as long as Dawn is the name of your mother/sister/wife/girlfriend..... ;)