Is it ok to clean your aquarium with Dawn?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kmgriff72

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
I used bleach to clean out my SW tank and I am going to do FW. I rinsed the tank very well but how long do I let it sit before starting again. I used straight undiluted bleach as advised to clean up the tank and was wondering how long to wait before filling it up with water?

fishieperson321

AC Members
Mar 17, 2006
Tennessee
I lost my impeller and it unluckilly landed in my dirty clothes and got washed with Gain and then dried in the dryer. Is it safe to use? I soaked it in vinegar for 3 hours. Is it safe to use? Should I just buy another one? I dropped it after I cleaned the filter and lost the impeller so I used a different filter. I just now found it and I am wondering if it is safe.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
When using bleach--if you can still smell the bleach, it's not safe. You can fill it up and dose it with a good dechlor and call it good, or let it dry for about 24 hours. Either works.

For anything that HAS been exposed to a surfacant, rinsing with bleach or giving it an oxylcean bath will work, particularly for hard plastics and glass. I would never trust something highly porous, like a sponge, or wood, but denser materials are easier to clean.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
OrionGirl said:
When using bleach--if you can still smell the bleach, it's not safe. You can fill it up and dose it with a good dechlor and call it good, or let it dry for about 24 hours. Either works.

For anything that HAS been exposed to a surfacant, rinsing with bleach or giving it an oxylcean bath will work, particularly for hard plastics and glass. I would never trust something highly porous, like a sponge, or wood, but denser materials are easier to clean.
What she said :)

Soak the impeller in unscented bleach and scrub it, just to be safe. Rinse well and use dechlor in the final rinse. You should be good to go.

Roan

Debra Mark

Wench Boots!
Sep 29, 2004
Canada
Real Name
I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.....
Oh, and by the way....it IS okay to clean your aquarium with Dawn.....as long as Dawn is the name of your mother/sister/wife/girlfriend..... ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store