PDA

View Full Version : couple of quick fry questions...

Red Tailed Wonder
09-16-2006, 3:59 PM
Hello all,

After like 2 months ive finally found Platy Fry! Iv'e only managed to catch one though. so ive put him in a little tank with plants and an old snail shell, it's got a heater.
1.Will the fry get lonesome?
2. what can i do to increase the chances of my platys giving more fry?

thnx in advance.
Flag

TheZoo
09-16-2006, 6:40 PM
Answers
1) probably
2) keep a male and a female together

You really dont have to worry yourself about seperating and rearing the fry, esp if youre going to put them in a bowl....just let them be. Some may survive in your main tank, putting you with (probably) an overload of fish eventually and some will get eaten and be a good source of protein.

Mgamer20o0
09-16-2006, 7:06 PM
is the tank that the platies are in planted? i have hornwort floating on top. the fry love to hide in there. the only thing i could think of would to put the pregent platy into its own tank so there will be less fish to eat the fry.

Red Tailed Wonder
09-17-2006, 4:04 AM
After a day now s/he seems to be doing fine, iv'e got him feeding on some powder food. He seems to like bobbing over the heater when it's turned on. What else can i feed him?
Also how often should i change the water?

tnx flag

coupedefleur
09-17-2006, 10:10 AM
For her size now, it's probably like having one adult platy in a 200 gallon tank, so you don't need to change the water too frequently.

For food, I'd probalby just use powdered food. If you were serious about raising platies, or just about any other fish, getting ahold of a starter culture of microworms would be a good idea, but it's a lot of work for one or two fry.

If you don't have plant cover in the main platy tank, make a spawning mop or two out of acrylic yarn. The baby bowl would probably benefit from some hiding places as well- I'm sure they feel more secure if they have someplace to hide.

Red Tailed Wonder
09-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Would this work? If i put a net mesh in the baby tank halfway down and put the pregnant female in the top half, and when she drops the fry will swim down into the bottom half?

TheZoo
09-17-2006, 12:36 PM
Depends on how large the holes in the net are. But Id expect some to be eaten regardless... Why are you set on keeping the fry, if I may ask? If your main tank/bowl is planted in some way (anacharis is nice and bushy when "planted" in bunches), you could probably have a few fry survive. Having said that, I sporatically see platy fry in my tank, which is moderatly to heavily planted and then one day I dont see them anymore. They are eaten, I assume, which is fine by me as I already had to deal with a guppy explosion and now have 3 active tanks. No room for more just yet. Yes, fry are cute and teeny, but unless you already have the extra 20 gallon to put them in (seperated by gender), Id just as soon say que sera sera. Your gouramis undoubtedly love the little treats.

Your bowl water should be refreshed every week, even though the fry is tiny. They grow quickly, especially when there is no competition or danger.

Red Tailed Wonder
09-17-2006, 3:55 PM
Because i would like to breed them.

Im keeping the main tank as dark as possible will this help?

thnx flag.

TheZoo
09-17-2006, 9:33 PM
[QUOTE=Flagfish]Im keeping the main tank as dark as possible will this help?
QUOTE]

Huh? No, it wont help the fish breed, if thats what you mean. Are these fry all going to live in that bowl? If so, good luck.

coupedefleur
09-18-2006, 7:39 AM
Why are you set on keeping the fry, if I may ask?

When you're starting out, it's a lot of fun to raise livebearer fry.

Right now, I've got about 700 platy fry, and about 500 swordtail fry, by my best guess, so I can also see why someone mignt NOT want to raise them!

Putting the net in the bowl, you are essentially creating a breeding trap. (You can do a search on that term.) That would work, but it's sometimes difficult to figure out exactly when a female platy is going to drop fry. Living in that bowl is not going to be good for the female.

Giving the fry a place to hide- either fine-leaved floating plants or spawning mops in your main tank, and netting out fry you see, will probably be the best plan for saving some babies to raise without risking the life of the mother or getting more tanks.

Red Tailed Wonder
09-19-2006, 3:41 PM
Will it help the fry if the temp is lower or higher?

thnx flag.

Red Tailed Wonder
09-21-2006, 3:53 PM
uRe right Zoo Shes growingquick!
she is abt 5mm now.

vidiots
09-22-2006, 8:38 AM
For breeding, I don't use any sort of breeding trap. I just put the mother in a seperate tank until she gives birth. The birthing mother will usually leave the fry alone at least for the first day, which gives you time to notice she has given birth and to make sure she is done before moving her out of the fry tank. Placing the pregnant mother into a tiny container often stresses her causes her to panic which can damage the fry, resulting in many still borns. I'd say that a 2.5 gallon tank would be the bare minimum container size to move her to without causing her to panic atleast not much, larger would be better. 10gal would probably have no panic at all.

A word of caution as mentioned by the others, make sure you have the tank capacity before you try saving them all. It's not much of a problem when there are only a few tiny fry in the brood, but when the brood size reaches 80 fry :eek: you quickly run out of tanks to put them in as they grow quickly.

I think a new born platy fry's favorite food is live baby brine shrimp. These are easy to hatch on short notice. With frequent feedings of BBS the fry will grow very quickly. They only have to be large enough to not be swallowed whole before they can be put in with the adults (like maybe a month old).

Red Tailed Wonder
09-28-2006, 3:12 PM
Woo well she's doing great :dance: shes over half a centimeter long and getting her stubby shape. Yes she is a female, im guessing that she will be into her home the (60l).
thnx Flag :thm: