couple of quick fry questions...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vidiots

AC Members
Apr 16, 2006
Wakefield, New Hampshire
For breeding, I don't use any sort of breeding trap. I just put the mother in a seperate tank until she gives birth. The birthing mother will usually leave the fry alone at least for the first day, which gives you time to notice she has given birth and to make sure she is done before moving her out of the fry tank. Placing the pregnant mother into a tiny container often stresses her causes her to panic which can damage the fry, resulting in many still borns. I'd say that a 2.5 gallon tank would be the bare minimum container size to move her to without causing her to panic atleast not much, larger would be better. 10gal would probably have no panic at all.

A word of caution as mentioned by the others, make sure you have the tank capacity before you try saving them all. It's not much of a problem when there are only a few tiny fry in the brood, but when the brood size reaches 80 fry :eek: you quickly run out of tanks to put them in as they grow quickly.

I think a new born platy fry's favorite food is live baby brine shrimp. These are easy to hatch on short notice. With frequent feedings of BBS the fry will grow very quickly. They only have to be large enough to not be swallowed whole before they can be put in with the adults (like maybe a month old).

Red Tailed Wonder

AC Members
Feb 21, 2005
Woo well she's doing great :dance: shes over half a centimeter long and getting her stubby shape. Yes she is a female, im guessing that she will be into her home the (60l).
thnx Flag :thm:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store