PDA

View Full Version : What type of fish would get along with my two male mollies?

Britt20
11-18-2006, 11:14 PM
Should I be getting another fish for these two males? Are they going to be attacking each other? I have a ten gallon tank and am wondering what type of fish i should get and should it be soon or will they be fine for now and not attacking each other. I have noticed that the silver lyretail molly has been chasing after the other male and kind of nipping him in the tail.

Reddog80p
11-19-2006, 7:59 AM
Are your mollies in a brackish tank or freshwater no salt? Mollies are good tank mates for Swordtails, Platies, Angel Fish, Corydoras Catfish, Plecostomus, and Bigger Tetras like Black Skirts, Red Serpaes, and Silver Tips. Of course these all depend on your water (salt or no salt) I've seen them in both, and your tank size.

Reddog80p

starrystarstarr
11-19-2006, 8:40 AM
when i first started the fish hobby i bought 2 mollies..being new i told the worker a male/female. but relized later on i was given 2 males. by the time i was able to get females one male had killed off the other:( i still went ahead with buying two females but he killed those off. Now hes by himself and seems much happier.

Britt20
11-19-2006, 9:56 AM
Are your mollies in a brackish tank or freshwater no salt? Mollies are good tank mates for Swordtails, Platies, Angel Fish, Corydoras Catfish, Plecostomus, and Bigger Tetras like Black Skirts, Red Serpaes, and Silver Tips. Of course these all depend on your water (salt or no salt) I've seen them in both, and your tank size.

Reddog80p

There is no salt in my tank and I have a 10g tank.

jennfier
11-19-2006, 10:21 AM
Get more male mollies. If there are more than 1 to fight, they usually won't. Otherwise, you can go to your LFS to swap a male for a few females or some other fish mentioned in the above post.

Cory Lover
11-19-2006, 12:33 PM
Hi,

If your Mollies keep fighting, I would just return one of them.

I think it would look great to have a group of four Panda Cories to add to your tank.

And if you give away one of the Mollies, you could also get Dwarf Gourami I think.

Cory Lover

Britt20
11-20-2006, 9:54 PM
Could I get a betta or will they not get along?

Reddog80p
11-20-2006, 10:14 PM
I personally would'nt put a betta in with the others. I do like Bettas but I think thier a tad too aggressive IMO.

jm1212
11-21-2006, 3:51 PM
dont put angels, bettas, or other long finned fish with mollies, as they can get nippy as they get bigger.
you need more FEmales to keep agression between the males down 1:3 is a good ratio
mollies grow to large for a 10 gallon and you'd need 6 females to suppot the two males you have

Britt20
11-21-2006, 3:58 PM
mollies grow to large for a 10 gallon and you'd need 6 females to suppot the two males you have

Well it looks like I will only be having one male in this tank... The lyretail seems to be almost dead. Laying on the gravel on its side not doing much, and barely breathing.

So what time of fish would you suggest?

jm1212
11-21-2006, 4:16 PM
a black molly by himself would pretty much take the space of the tank except for a pair of corydoras

blackwolfXKAV
11-21-2006, 4:34 PM
as i believe someone had mentioned a while ago in my research that mollies acclimated to full SW have a nearly 90% decrease in vunerability to disease, and given the fact that these are 4 inch fish we're talking about, i would:

A) Get a Bigger tank
B) Get some females if you get a bigger tank
and C) if going with (A) and (b); Acclimate to full SW

IMHO, not only do they need to be truly regaurded as 4 inch fish, they should also be given the simple courtesy of living in something at least moderately close to their natural environment, that is Brackish (If not SW)

Best of luck.
black_Wolf

Tommy Gun
11-21-2006, 7:12 PM
So, here is what I understand about mollies in particular as pertaining to the type of water they like.

Most brackish water fish are just saltwater fish that have evolved to deal with a lower salinity. True brackish water is very close to having the minimal salinity needed for a SW tank. This happens because the fish have been trapped over a long time and landlocked into ponds/rivers/lakes that raise and lower in salinity when it rains or when the water evaporates. (This is obviously not the whole story, but a good example for at least a little bit of understanding of the concept).

Mollies are fish that can literally be kept in any type of water provided that they are acclimated over time to one or the other. For BEST results, like a molly obtaining a size of 4 to 6 inches, I believe brackish water is needed. In freshwater, they are not really going to die sooner or live longer but they may not be as big or as colorful as they could be. Most of the 'special' types of mollies (balloon, lyretail, sailfin, etc...) have been bred this way in brackish water and so I think brackish water tends to be the best for them, IMO. Still, you shouldnt be having all too many problems with mollies being overly mean and killing off tankmates.

I think the problem you are having is that both mollies are of the same sex. I dont think it would matter if they are both male or female, since they both want to be dominant, breed, and do what fish do I guess. I think that if you had one male and one female, you are going to have a 10 gallon tankful of fry in a matter of weeks. In such a small tank, it may be best to keep only one molly and one livebearer for that matter.

I still dont think that the tank would be completely full though and you could get some other fish and maybe a school of smaller fish like neons. If you have enough of them (6 to 8), they can take care of themselves. It may also help to keep the smaller fish in the tank for a couple of days before adding a molly or other large fish. I also think that a bottom feeder type fish would be a good addition, BUT a pleco may be something to avoid since even the smallest varieties are going to be big waste producers. I like the cory idea myself and I am not really a cory fan (sorry, cory lover! Just so you know, I dont hate them either)

The betta fish is going to have problems with being in a tank with other fish who have big fins and so a molly may not be the best choice to mix with a betta. Bettas, in my opinion, are also best kept either alone or with fish that are not overly active and schooling fish who could 'gang up' on it.

I think you should research out the fish that appeal to you the most in certain aspects. I dont think that you seem like a person who wants a tank with one fish in it so look into others. Even though you cannot get bunches and bunches of fish, a small school would certainly fit, if the fish were small like neon tetras, rummy nose tetras (my personal fav.), glo-light tetras, danios (not giant, just normal), or even the smallest fish on my 'most wanted list', the glow-fish (check it out)!

Just dont get too discouraged by your recent problems with the mollies. I think that they are often times not given proper credit or emphasis on their teritorialness (if that is a word) and they get a lot larger (and hence stronger) than some realize. In a livebearer tank I used to have up and running for breeding (mollies, platties, guppies mainly), I had one very very very large female who ran the tank and would even attack my python when I tried cleaning the tank! There is hope though and it could just be that you found yourself a molly with a particularily grumpy disposition!