PDA

View Full Version : Should pregnant women do tank maintaince?

Omega
01-08-2007, 4:53 PM
My sister's preggy and I'm going to be an uncle!

Question; We know she can't do the cat litter, but what about her dirty fish tank? Has there been any problems with this?

jedoubblese
01-08-2007, 4:59 PM
shouldnt be a problem until her belly gets too big and then no she will need help but water changes and stuff just fine as long as the tank is clean and shes not drinking the water it should be just fine

hmilstead
01-08-2007, 5:14 PM
Watch the heavy lifting if she uses big buckets for water changes. Water is 7-8 lbs per gallon. She should discuss with her doctor if she has weight restrictions on how much she should lift.

Mgamer20o0
01-08-2007, 6:18 PM
a python will save a lot of problems. if using buckets i have no idea but with a python i see no problem.

icecubez189
01-08-2007, 6:25 PM
definately don't do without a python. i have a hard enough time just using a regular gravel vac

Kyohti
01-08-2007, 6:34 PM
Yeah, the main reason for no catbox changes is the bacteria and ammonia that can be inhaled and cause harm to the fetus. As long as she doesn't strain herself with the water changes... and of course she should probably steer clear of the handling of any chemicals as some can be absorbed into the skin.

But yeah... doctor knows best. But make sure the doctor understands how involving the aquarium process is because not all doctors know. (aka, have a list of chemicals she would use to maintain or clean the tank, inform him of the water changes and the need to haul water, and also of the cleaning of filters and possible bacteria and ammonia build-up in them)

Afterall, anyone needs all the pieces to make a complete puzzle, right? With that information, s/he'd be able to give you the best guidelines on how she can maintain her fish AND be a healthy mom for her little bambino!!

Congratulations to you both and good luck.... OH!! And post the doctor's opinions? Other women/fish-lovers might want the FYI for when they are hauling water at their third trimester!!! ^___^

Omega
01-08-2007, 6:55 PM
I will have her ask the doctor next time she goes and I will post the response.

In the meantime, I think I'll go over and do it for her. She says it's extremely dirty and who knows what kind of unsavory bacteria are growing in there. I'll do it the first time so it's clean and then await the doc's advise.

I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to syphon out all the poop from the gravel without having to change the water twice over. It's a 10-gallon and the gravel has never been syphoned before. :rolleyes:

Thanks all.

pugwash
01-09-2007, 3:03 AM
There are a lot of different bacteria in the tank, but these are water borne, unlike the cat litter which will have airborne bacteria. So long as she washes her hands/arms well afterwards, you shouldn't have any problems. The placenta is an amazing filter after all.

Had no probs when my lass was pregnant, except she wasn't able to help much after 6 months unsuprisingly. A healthy lad has since emerged and an avid aquarist!

sexymumma
01-09-2007, 3:17 AM
Well I am 6 months pregnant, and I do my tank maintance and I put my hand and arm in the tank.

I am very hygenic though and wash immediatly afterwards all up my arms and hands with soap.

garbon2535
01-09-2007, 4:41 AM
Nitrite Test Solution has been identified as harmful to the fetus/embryo according to the Material Safety Data Sheet. Most aquarium test chemicals are hazardous if swallowed, inhaled, or absorbed through the skin; however, Nitrite Test Solution has been specifically labeled as harmful to the fetus/embryo.

TKOS
01-09-2007, 7:15 AM
If the tank is cycled then a nitrite test shouldn't really be needed.

I woudl suggest getting her some nice gloves to wear, like dishwashing gloves. Keep them as aquarium only. That way she can put her hands in the tank if she has to without any worries.

Dixon
01-09-2007, 7:24 AM
i think you should tell her to put her feet up and you do them for her.
LOL

rosita
01-09-2007, 7:41 AM
I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to syphon out all the poop from the gravel without having to change the water twice over. It's a 10-gallon and the gravel has never been syphoned before. :rolleyes:

Thanks all.

Eeuuuwwwww. Try a section at a time, although with a 10g it may be easier to go 75%; repeat next day. Eeuuwwww. :eek:

TKOS
01-09-2007, 7:58 AM
Take it slow when recovering a tank that has lacked regular maintanence. Small partials of 10% are your best bet each day for a week, or at most every few hours.

Marinemom
01-09-2007, 2:16 PM
i think you should tell her to put her feet up and you do them for her.
LOL

I second this idea!

Marinemom

newtosnails
01-09-2007, 3:43 PM
Just wanted to say that I agree with asking doc, although I think she'll be fine with water changes and maintainance. She can't change cat litter for a very specific reason, she can contract a a disease from contact with the litter (not just inhaling the ammonia) that can cause her to go into premature labor and can also cause birth defects. She can still change the litter if she wears rubber gloves and washed her hands afterwards. My husband also refused to change the litter for me, so I had to do it myself. All three of my babies came out just fine and all went to term. Just wanted to clarify that it wasn't an airborne bacteria or ammonia that caused the recommendation for pregnant women to not change kitty litter. I do think fish tank cleaning would be fine for her. ;)

Zastrus
01-09-2007, 5:21 PM
Lol this is a funny thread. Let me just say: "Where there's a will, there's a way."

Aussie_hippie_2
01-09-2007, 5:27 PM
I'm really impressed with everyones knowledge on this. Congrats to the preggo!

Dixon
01-09-2007, 6:50 PM
Lol this is a funny thread. Let me just say: "Where there's a will, there's a way."

thats how she became pregnant in the first place LOL