Should pregnant women do tank maintaince?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
If the tank is cycled then a nitrite test shouldn't really be needed.

I woudl suggest getting her some nice gloves to wear, like dishwashing gloves. Keep them as aquarium only. That way she can put her hands in the tank if she has to without any worries.

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to syphon out all the poop from the gravel without having to change the water twice over. It's a 10-gallon and the gravel has never been syphoned before. :rolleyes:

Thanks all.
Eeuuuwwwww. Try a section at a time, although with a 10g it may be easier to go 75%; repeat next day. Eeuuwwww. :eek:

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Take it slow when recovering a tank that has lacked regular maintanence. Small partials of 10% are your best bet each day for a week, or at most every few hours.

newtosnails

AC Members
Jun 13, 2006
Just wanted to say that I agree with asking doc, although I think she'll be fine with water changes and maintainance. She can't change cat litter for a very specific reason, she can contract a a disease from contact with the litter (not just inhaling the ammonia) that can cause her to go into premature labor and can also cause birth defects. She can still change the litter if she wears rubber gloves and washed her hands afterwards. My husband also refused to change the litter for me, so I had to do it myself. All three of my babies came out just fine and all went to term. Just wanted to clarify that it wasn't an airborne bacteria or ammonia that caused the recommendation for pregnant women to not change kitty litter. I do think fish tank cleaning would be fine for her. ;)

Zastrus

Turtley enough for the Turtle Club?
Oct 11, 2006
Go Chargers Go, CA
Lol this is a funny thread. Let me just say: "Where there's a will, there's a way."

Aussie_hippie_2

AC Members
Sep 17, 2006
Wisconsin USA
www.myspace.com
I'm really impressed with everyones knowledge on this. Congrats to the preggo!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store