I would like to "downgrade"....suggestions?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Mar 9, 2007
Hello, my current setup is:

10 gal
1 male CT betta
1 bridgesii snail
3 bamboo shrimps
4 cherry red shrimps

Im going away to school and would like to consider getting a smaller tank. Would a 5 gal work in my situation? I know my shrimps a very very small impact on my bioload, would this all work in a 3 or 5 gal hex system? I have considered returning my bamboo shrimps because I think Im liking my CRS better. Any suggestions? Im doing this to minizmize space, although I know a 10 gal doesnt take up much room, but Im going into a dorm and would still like to keep my betta and a few shrimps at the most. Thanks in advance!

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
You could switch to a hex tank. That would save you space.

shaggbark

The rare and Elusive....Ninja Cod
Feb 12, 2007
Hopewell Jct. NY
^^^^^I agree, just keep your tank :)

maronov

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
New York, NY
I disagree - don't take your 10G tank. I had a 5.5G in college last year and that was space-wasting enough, not to mention the headache associated with emptying/moving it back home. I recommend a 2.5G since it will fit almost anywhere (like a bookshelf) and house the betta/cherry shrimp/snail without problems. You will have to find a new home for the bamboo shrimp but hey, education comes at a price.

galen

AC Members
Jan 26, 2007
NY
I disagree - don't take your 10G tank. I had a 5.5G in college last year and that was space-wasting enough, not to mention the headache associated with emptying/moving it back home. I recommend a 2.5G since it will fit almost anywhere (like a bookshelf) and house the betta/cherry shrimp/snail without problems. You will have to find a new home for the bamboo shrimp but hey, education comes at a price.
very good. i agree completely, being in the same boat.

Mar 9, 2007
How about the mini bow AGA 2.5 gal tank? I also have a red sea nano deco art filter that I will use instead of the filter that comes w/it because I have heard a lot of negative things about the filter. I pretty much have everything that I will need b/c of my current setup. Ill also replace the bulb w/a 10 or 11 W CF.

Mar 9, 2007
4 cherry shrimp? was there a fatality in shipping? i sent you 5 of them
Haven't recieved them yet- I was just guesstimating how many you sent :) Even though I haven't recieved them yet, I already like em better then my bamboos! And since my bamboos are still w/in the 15 day return policy at petco, I am going to return the bamboos this weekend and give more room to my CRS! Because the CRS are much more attractive, and after reading up, I definately like their way of life more then the bamboos!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store