salty420's 75g reef log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

salty420

this fish was coming on to me
Mar 8, 2007
Sugar Grove, IL
jupiter found a new hole today! it's all the way on the other side of the tank, still on the back side but far away from the clowns and their nems :) he's coming out a lot more now too, but the clowns just HATE him! they dart at him and are even coming over and hanging out in front of the new hole! poor little guy just can't win, i don't know what their problem is :wall:

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
dang, maybe I don't want clowns for my 135. I was thinking a RBTA with a couple of pink skunk clowns. (as an aside, I can get rbtas SO easy here! It's like a total fad or trend here among reefers and it seems like everyone in my local club has multiples that are always splitting and growing and splitting. Can't wait till my next tank is ready for one!)

Have you thought about getting rid of the clowns at all? Maybe you could sell them to a breeder, then you could feel good that you're helping the progress of aquaculture! I keep thinking of doing that with my yellowheaded sleeper pair, because I'm so tired of them dropping sand on everything.

The blenny is adorable! I LOVE him! That is going to be one of the first fish I put in the new tank.

salty420

Mar 8, 2007
Sugar Grove, IL
well i really need to go fish shopping soon. i need to replace jupiter since i miss that fish a lot! this time i will be sure that even the tiniest of hole is covered so that the new fish will not be able to jump. i think i will try to find a lawnmower blenny at the same time as i am having a bit of a HA problem. after that i will probably add just 1 or maybe 2 more fish and i'll be full!
my clowns (expecially my female) have been loving having 2 nems. the more the better for her i think! but today i swear it almost looks like the clone may split. i sure hope not! it sure is a big clone tho, i always thought they were pretty small..? well here's a pic, the clone is up front - mother's up top.

i really need to sell one of them, probably the mother as the clones foot is way down in the LR...

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
very pretty salty! I LOVE your rock scape. I wish you lived near so you could come over and help me with mine. Eh, not messing with it again.

are you thinking of getting another midas? I'm picking mine up this Saturday!

salty420

Mar 8, 2007
Sugar Grove, IL
thanks annette, i am pretty happy with the aquascape in the tank and the fish LOVE it. the best part is all the big holes for the fish to swim through. many of them are big enough even for the larger angel to fit through.
it looks like i will be selling the mother rbta on saturday. i am actually really sad about this! i know i do not need 2 nems tho and i cannot get to the foot of the clone to remove it. my clowns will be so upset. the female sleeps right between the 2 nems and the males sleeps under the mother. at least the female seems partial to the clone so she shouldn't be totally lost and upset when i take the mother.
i am also going to be trading some of my macro algae for some different types so my fuge will really be a jungle of macro.
as far as the new midas goes, im not sure when i'll get it. i'd like to get it soon but will have to have it ordered for me again from the basement "store" i deal with. i'll have them get me a lawnmower at the same time. im thinking that the new midas will be named 'saturn', what do you think?

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
They are characters, but whether or not they'll actually help you with your hair algae is debatable...or rather just chance.

If you're just starting to get hair algae now, and your tank has been up and running for a while, then something has more than likely changes:

How old and what type are your lights? Bulbs usually don't quite last a year, and some are quicker to need change than others. CF, for example, they say 6 months. What ends up happening is they will shift spectrum, and often times that spectrum shift turns them into algae growing machines.

How old are your ro/di filters? I just checked TDS on my (under) 1 yr old RO/DI unit and it was producing 15 TDS, rather than the nice clean 0 I'm used to.

Are you feeding more than usual? Maybe switched food recently?

Does your tank sit by a window where light is coming in now that it's the summer months?

Anyway, usually adding animals to cut down on algae that is already considered 'a problem' is just a crapshoot. It can help sometimes, but often times it doesn't, and even if it does, it doesn't solve the problem by getting to the root.

:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store