salty420's 75g reef log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

salty420

this fish was coming on to me
Mar 8, 2007
Sugar Grove, IL
well not too much to report in the tank except i am about to do some major battle against some what i am guessing is cyano.... it's different then i've seen before, it's like red/brown stringy spider webs on everything but not really on the sand. it's not the sheet of cyano im used to seeing. really it's mostly on my corals which is really annoying as it's causing them to stay closed up. it's on the acrylic too but that's an easy fix, just scrapes off. so, tomorrow a big WC is planned. first everything is going to get sucked off and then about 20-25 gallons of water is going to be changed out. im thinking about going lights out or at least keeping the HQI's off for a couple days after the WC to see if that will help combat the algae. i hope so, it's pretty ugly :(

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
My neighbor has the same problem.. first had a heck of a time getting rid of the "slime" cyano using Chemi-Clean, and after months of battling that to finally get it out of his tank all of the sudden a month later the "stringy" cyano appeared. Now he is battling that. He has a Mag18 return pump/dual returns, Koralia3 and Koralia4 on his 75G and still can't get rid of it. Also runs a phosban reactor. Definately frustrating to say the least. He was never known to take a proactive step to rid it though.. just waits until it is out of control and hindering his viewing pleasure before he decided to do something about it.. at that point it is a long hard battle. The only thing he is good about is doing a 20G a week waterchange and changes out his media (chemi-pure/rowas phosphate remover) monthly. That doesn't seem to help his problem though and in 5 years I have never seen him do a single test on his water so who knows what he is putting back into his tank with the water changes. I have even offered my test kits to him but he says they are "too much work". Definately frustrates me when he complains about stuff like that but won't put in the effort to even do a test to find out the source of the problem.

Last edited:

salty420

this fish was coming on to me
Mar 8, 2007
Sugar Grove, IL
this tank is doing great! the cyano is gone thanks to a long over due wc... another large wc is planned and i will not let slack on them again! in my old 37g i was sooo good about doing my weekly changes but i've been bad lately and paid the price in both tanks. i had to move my stag and one of the torts as the rbta started rounding the corner so i'll try to post some new pics tomorrow. also im afraid my male swallowtail is changing gender on me! i am not very happy about this...

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
Beautiful! Your tank looks very colorful with all your different coral. And I actually like the blue background on your tank (usually I don't, lol I might have even said that before too). Looks like you are experiencing some nice growth too.

Sorry to hear about the possibility of the sex change. I saw your post about it, but I have no experience with swallowtail angels. All I know is that they look very pretty :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store