curious about maintaining your tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

how long to you run your filter?

• a- 24/7

Votes: 163 97.0%
  • b- 8-12hrs

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • c- 2-4hrs

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • d- who needs a filter??

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

carlyleigh

AC Members
Feb 16, 2008
Surely the only choice here is 24/7, lets face it fish poo 24/7 and cannot be toilet trained only too do so when the filter is on...

Why vac everynight, yes we know that vacumming is an essential part of tank maintenance or at least it should be but can't be nice for the fishberts..... I have a tank full of cats and they freak when I vac, one got so stressed yesterday he jumped up and hit my tank roof......

24/7 24/7 24/7

kimmisc

is in your closet.
Mar 12, 2007
Florence, SC
Where are the people who chose anything other than a?? They didn't seem to respond. And the OP hasn't responded to the questions either hmm.. and I'm so curious.
Friends, additional accounts created by the OP, or a handful of others who also don't know any better yet.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
well I believe it actually may be different depending on what you consider filter.

most use the filter HOB,Cannister, sump.. it provides mechanical and biological filtration.

but in some cases ie refugium..does not really provide mechanical filtration in the 'normal ' sense I suspect that in a heavily planted tank with powerheads for circulation you could turn the mechanical filter off..the plants would provide bio filtration. but the power heads would remain on.

but in general.. in normal tank set ups.. 24/7 ;)

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
if you turn your filter off you are defeating the purpose. The bacteria colony is not going to be nearly as efficent because of constant dieoff. My filters are not noisy at all, you don't save money...why would you turn it off?

The OP is using an HOB.

DominionDesign

Just chillin', watching the fish.
Aug 5, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
This thread has got me thinking, considering the economy and all, what if I unplug my refrigerator at night? I agree with DrV, its time has come.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store