curious about maintaining your tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

how long to you run your filter?

• a- 24/7

Votes: 163 97.0%
  • b- 8-12hrs

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • c- 2-4hrs

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • d- who needs a filter??

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TMDragon

AC Members
Feb 24, 2008
Southern California
Yep I agree with all of the above posts. The filters need to be on 24/7 with the exception of turning them off for maintenance during water changes if needed.

I also don't understand your reasoning for turning them off. Is it to save electricity? As stated above, it hardly makes a difference, especially with HOBs (I'm assuming) and only 2 tanks. When you start running 10+ tanks or tanks in the 100+ gallon range that require large pumps, multiple filters and heavy lighting, things change though. :grinyes:

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Yeah, from what I understand, the problem with turning the filter off is less of an immediate problem for the fish and more of a problem for the good bacteria. From what others have told me, flowing water will support a healthy bacteria colony, but the bacteria numbers decrease in still water.

Edit: Maybe I should add, this question came up for me back when I was trying to seed some filter media with good bacteria to set up a QT tank. I thought I could just lay the new media in my established tank and let it sit there for a few weeks. But the overwhelming majority of folks here on AC told me I needed to run the whole QT filter on the established tank to seed it, because the flowing water would support a larger bacteria colony.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The water in the filter box isn't any more oxygenated than the water in the tank.

In any case, run your filter 24/7.

DominionDesign

Just chillin', watching the fish.
Aug 5, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
24/7 for all of the above reasons. In addition most every pump or filter made for aquarium use is engineered to run continuously, constant turning on and off will shorten the life of them and end up costing more in the long run.

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
24/7

I've never heard of anyone turning it off.

Draal5

AC Members
Apr 23, 2007
even in the dark age filters were 24x7 I have never heard of turning off filters except for swimming pools.

some people turn their filters when feeding but that's 15mins max 1 hr

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
24/7 on all tanks except during maintenance.

Alan R

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Northeast Georgia
I have never heard of anyone not running a filter 24/7.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I would never turn off my filters. I don't even turn off my HOBs when I'm cleaning them. I just remove the media baskets/cartridges. Canister filters have to be turned off to clean them, though...lol.
There is no benefit in running them part time. You're much more likely to run into problems by turning them off.
I have heard of others who follow your routine, but by far the majority of people run filters 24/7.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store