Suicidal plecos????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kitti007

AC Members
Aug 21, 2008
looks like your DEAD occupants contaminated the water which killed there friends!!

flossyfloofloo

AC Members
Apr 14, 2008
nottingham england
whoa if fish go missing FIND THEM

u should gravel vac at least once a week to clear detritus

sand WONT clear this problem unless u vac it regularry

camber1981

AC Members
Jun 23, 2008
Genoa, IL
The weird thing is, when I had my 29 gallon tank a few years ago, i threw my gravel vac out because it was useless, and that tank was WAY overstocked, I just had a good cleanup crew i guess. I had 2 10" oscars, a 12" pleco, a 6" rock bass, and 4 blue paradise gouramis. My "cleanup crew" consisted of a 6" goldfish(a feeder that survived long enough to get big), a 3" corydora, and a dozen kuhli loaches. I kinda figured a hundred or so MTS would do as good a job.... guess not.

wildman117

AC Members
May 13, 2008
D-M-V
yeah it sounds like the fish dies and the substrate went anaerobic and it released toxic gases into the water and it killed off your fish and made the water incredibly toxic
this could really become a problem with the sand you plan as it could compact and the same thing could happen

camber1981

AC Members
Jun 23, 2008
Genoa, IL
so what would you suggest, an undergravel filter? would one of those work with sand? also, is there a gravel vac that would work with sand?

camber1981

AC Members
Jun 23, 2008
Genoa, IL
I just worry because after the move I'm planning on getting a Black Ghost Knife, and I would hate to see it die or get sick. I finally got my shipment from Drs. Foster and Smith today, including my API test kit. My TAP water tested at 8.4 PH!!!! :eek: Good thing I got some Neutral Regulator. My 10 gal shrimp tank now tests at a nice 7.0 Ph. I'll be over at my dad's working on the 55 tomorrow.... (wish me luck!!!)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store