Suicidal plecos????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nguyendetecting

"Swim along with the snorks"
Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
they're tired of high gas prices...

Acutally I have no clue.. have you changed anything lately?? Do you any other tanks that are having problems?

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
The tetras need to be in a shoal, they are proberly behaving like this because you don't have enough of them.
I also suspect water quality issues but can't be sure without test results from a good liquid test kit.

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
The gouramis would not be getting along, and blue/gold gouramis are aggressive. The best you can do at this point is large water changes and overdose on prime. If you have quaratines attempt to isolate the gouramis(not in the same tank!).

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I would suspect water quality issues until further notice.

If you take a sample to petsmart make sure to see the results yourself...and if they use strips, don't trust them. And while you are there pick up an API FW master kit, only 20 bucks with price match.

camber1981

AC Members
Jun 23, 2008
Genoa, IL
so, I finally had my water tested last night, the tests came back.... ammonia 10 ppm, nitrite 10ppm, nitrate 20 ppm, and ph 9.0+(she said it's normal ph for this area????) any natural ways I can lower ph??? ammonia and nitrite make sense, since I just combined my 2 tanks after the fireworks settled down a couple of days ago. I also had talked to my dad, he used to have an angel tank about 20 years ago. my mom had went and bought a few blue paradise gouramis "to add color to the tank". they got along fine for about a year, then one day my dad came home to find all 10 angels dead, apparently from the gouramis....

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Get you own test kit, those numbers are incredibly high. I doubt the fish would be alive in ammonia & nitrite that high (typos?). Did you clean the substrate before using the old stuff, if you did?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Were you able to see the results and what type of test kit they used? If not don't trust them...

I agree with fishorama, parameters that high would kill fish pretty quickly. Get your own kit (API master kit is best) and test yourself. I wouldn't trust the pH either...9.0 is very high even for a lot of cities.

camber1981

AC Members
Jun 23, 2008
Genoa, IL
admittedly, I found the results slightly suspect myself, she was using those "quickdip" strips, however i remember the last time i had a test kit(can't remember what brand) i remember the ph was outrageously high, even after an RO filter and water softener. weird thing was, when i had tried lowering it with PHdown, it dropped my ph really low and killed off almost my entire tank, except my oscars i had at the time

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store