Some Fish Best Left Alone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ghinksmon

AC Members
Aug 30, 2005
Northern NJ
I found this article, and thought I'd like to see other's opinions on it. I agree with the concept but to legislate it would be disasterous. Before the Monster Fish Keepers jump on board let me say I have no problem with people keeping monster fish in monster tanks... it's the monster fish in 55's that get me. The same goes for the difficult to keep fish. If it's your passion and you have the means to provide for it then fine. However most sold at the chain stores aren't going to receive this attention.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/blog.php?blogid=216

If there are to be ethics restrictions I think it should come from within the hobby. Other organizations have learned it is better to do it yourself before government sticks their big paws into it.

Last edited:

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
The responsibility should be on the stores, not the consumer. Fish are sold to people without educating them first, starting with the whole "only grows as large as your tank." If the store would actually take the time to say "this fish is going to grow as long as your leg," then people will reconsider buying them.

Or, use it to get them to buy a bigger tank, which is a heck of a lot more profitable.

Spewn

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
The responsibility should be on the stores, not the consumer.
Disagree completely. The responsibility should be squarely on the consumers shoulder. Research what you purchase *before* you purchase it otherwise, deal with the consequences.

Nothing meaningful will happen unless fish receive a different status under the law. Until then, petco is free to sell you all the "Live Pacu Meat" they want.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
I broadly agree with the article. Generally, a more sophisticated approach to regulating the aquarium trade should be taken, with certain species (the true monsters) being considered non-consumer items and available only to licensed persons. How to get a license ? Apply and show the tank you propose to use for the species in question.

Of course, the real problem with that is who gunna pay for all that there big government.

Currently I think its fair to say that responsibility for fish kept in cramped tanks depends on information given at point of sale. If a big old fish is being advertised as suitable for a 20, its the seller. If the needs of the fish are made clear at sale, its the purchasor. Even a conscientious seller providing good info can't prevent people lying to him regarding what size tank they have available. My own favourite shop will however question a customer fairly intently before selling an Oscar, arrowana etc. and usually spot a fake. This of course just educates the spoofer into what to say when they go elsewhere, in the event that elsewhere is equally as conscientious, which is not usually the case.

Its a pity, but ultimately you can only legislate for what goes on in your tank.

oscarluvr

AC Members
May 31, 2008
Texas
yes and no most people go into a store and buy what they see therefore it become the responsibility of the retailer to educate their employees so they in turn can educate the consumer. we all know what happens when the government starts legislating, they just do not know when to stop and we end up with a real mess

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
Disagree completely. The responsibility should be squarely on the consumers shoulder. Research what you purchase *before* you purchase it otherwise, deal with the consequences.

Nothing meaningful will happen unless fish receive a different status under the law. Until then, petco is free to sell you all the "Live Pacu Meat" they want.
I agree. its the consumer's job to know what they are buying. its like expecting a car salesman to be completly honest with the quality of a vehicle. you have to do your research to make sure you are going to be buying something reliable and nor some pile of junk.

those who run a pet store have just as much right to sell what people are buying. its the consumer's reponsibility to educate themselves so they do not end up buying a monster fish, and then as demand for the monster fish tapers off the sotres will stop selling them.

just because employees are educated does not mean that they are going to use that education at all, especially if they recieve comission and those pacu are hot sellers. also, people will not pass up a fish just because it "grows as long as your leg." in fact, i know some people that acctually think that would be the coolest thing in the world.

BTW, all of those fish in the article should not be sold. never having kept and SW fish, i can only speak for the FW fish on the list though.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
yes and no most people go into a store and buy what they see therefore it become the responsibility of the retailer to educate their employees so they in turn can educate the consumer. we all know what happens when the government starts legislating, they just do not know when to stop and we end up with a real mess
Well, not necessarily.

But in any event, currently you can go off and buy yourself a big old e.g. pacu and stick him in a 40G and no one calls foul; nothing could really be any worse than the present situation.

Part of the thing that amuses me a bit about this issue is that so many people call for 'something to be done' about inappropriate selling. But when it is pointed out that this requires regulation no one wants to do it lol.

Without that, all we're doing is wringing our hands and assigning moral blame where ever we perceive it to lie, be it with the consumer or the retailer. But nothings going to change as long as there is no regulation. Which there likely never will be because, lets face it, there are far more important things to sort out, where ever you happen to live :D

Spewn

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
yes and no most people go into a store and buy what they see therefore it become the responsibility of the retailer...
That's not the way things work. It doesn't simply become my responsibility to educate you because you are too lazy to educate yourself.

And, it's not as though this isn't the case in other industries as well. Heaven help you if you buy a used car without doing any research first.

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
Is failing to educate yourself really being lazy? Do you go out an research every purchase you make? I'd end up spending way too much time on the internet and not enough time out doing stuff. Some things should be the responsibility of the retailer to not lie. How much trouble is it to ask, "What size tank do you have?" when a customer inquires about a Pacu?

Dexmaster

Space Monkey
Mar 17, 2008
Michigan
Real Name
Jeremiah
See I am in between on all this. I feel if you are going to have a tank you should do your research first BUT you don't really know what you want till you see it especially beginner aquarists. I have worked in the pet trade for some time and I feel that its my duty to inform the customer on their purchase I tell them what they need to know about the animal and make sure they know how big its going to get a lot of times people make the right choice and move on to something more that they can handle. I do believe certain fish you should have to have a license for but still it the RESPONIBILITY of everyone involved not just one single group of individuals.

Thats my thoughts on all this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store