The Muppy Pluppy Experiment

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Edj05

The Kraken
Nov 29, 2008
New Jersey
Interesting... I also considered doing a community of guppies and mollies just to see if any hybrids would be produced, just for the fun of it.

However, I highly doubt a platy & guppy would mate, and I am even more doubtful that the matching would produce any offspring.

The sex of the two species may also play a role. It may be that the male guppies are the ones who instigate the cross-mating, or it may be the male mollies, and likewise with the females of both species.

Winged

Likes being a biology major.
Jan 11, 2009
Louisville, KY
I was thinking about doing this very thing yesterday (minus the platy). I don't know if I'll try, but I look forward to hearing your results.

Bethany1979

Going insane, wanna come?
Dec 12, 2008
New Jersey
Interesting... I also considered doing a community of guppies and mollies just to see if any hybrids would be produced, just for the fun of it.

However, I highly doubt a platy & guppy would mate, and I am even more doubtful that the matching would produce any offspring.
I doubt I'll get any offspring either, but it's worth a shot. If anything at all, they'll be keeping the tank cycled for me while I figure out what to put in it.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
i fully dont believe in hybrid fish. others do who am i to force people to do the same. people mix endlers with guppies all the time. i think the gene pools need to be protected. its one thing i think to try something out if your going to be responsible with the off spring..... which is why i asked vs someone breeding and putting them in the hands of others.... its is a touchy subject people feel strong on both sides.

if some how they do spawn and you get off spring i would raise them to adults and see if they can then breed. many hybrids cant breed some can. it would be a good thing to know.

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan
I have another thread running with photos of my guppy/molly mix. It is called, "Does this guppy look like a guppy/platy mix".
Read through the whole thread. I screwed up the first photo and inserted the platy I thought was the father. After much discussion it was determined that the father was actually a molly. It is one crazy looking fish. The really interesting thing is that someone posted a photo of a guppy/molly mix from another site and it looks shockingly similar to mine.
I don't know if my fish is fertile since the other mollies and guppies with him are all males. Good luck. If you get fry, make sure to get photos.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Molly/guppy - yes, same genus, documented. Crosses between different molly species are the norm; very few aquarium mollies belong to a single species.

Guppy/Platy - very unlikely; different genera.

As for mating, IME a male livebearer will attempt to mate with anything.

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan

Bethany1979

Dec 12, 2008
New Jersey
i fully dont believe in hybrid fish. others do who am i to force people to do the same. people mix endlers with guppies all the time. i think the gene pools need to be protected. its one thing i think to try something out if your going to be responsible with the off spring..... which is why i asked vs someone breeding and putting them in the hands of others.... its is a touchy subject people feel strong on both sides.

if some how they do spawn and you get off spring i would raise them to adults and see if they can then breed. many hybrids cant breed some can. it would be a good thing to know.
I fully respect your beliefs.If the slim chance that any offspring are produced, the will not leave my home, nor will they be intruduced into my fish community. I highly doubt they will be able to reproduce when adults. At least with mammal hybrids, we see that they are born sterile, as in the mule which is XX Horse, XY donkey. Or a hinny, xx donkey xy horse. Aslo, there is the liger and the tigon.
Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

Bethany1979

Dec 12, 2008
New Jersey
I have another thread running with photos of my guppy/molly mix. It is called, "Does this guppy look like a guppy/platy mix".
Read through the whole thread. I screwed up the first photo and inserted the platy I thought was the father. After much discussion it was determined that the father was actually a molly. It is one crazy looking fish. The really interesting thing is that someone posted a photo of a guppy/molly mix from another site and it looks shockingly similar to mine.
I don't know if my fish is fertile since the other mollies and guppies with him are all males. Good luck. If you get fry, make sure to get photos.
Your thread is what had sparked this experiment. It's fascinating, and your hybid is lovely.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store