The Muppy Pluppy Experiment

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
I fully respect your beliefs.If the slim chance that any offspring are produced, the will not leave my home, nor will they be intruduced into my fish community. I highly doubt they will be able to reproduce when adults. At least with mammal hybrids, we see that they are born sterile, as in the mule which is XX Horse, XY donkey. Or a hinny, xx donkey xy horse. Aslo, there is the liger and the tigon.
Thank you everyone for your thoughts.
I'm afraid that all the existing hybrids within the genera Poecilia and Xiphophorus (except, I believe, molly/guppy crosses) are fertile - most of the mollies, swordtails and platys you see are in fact hybrids.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you need to do a lot more research into these fish before you start mucking them around intentionally.

Bethany1979

Going insane, wanna come?
Dec 12, 2008
New Jersey
I'm afraid that all the existing hybrids within the genera Poecilia and Xiphophorus (except, I believe, molly/guppy crosses) are fertile - most of the mollies, swordtails and platys you see are in fact hybrids.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you need to do a lot more research into these fish before you start mucking them around intentionally.
Thanks.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
i like the word pluppy. if you did a swordtail and a guppy it could b a sluppy but im not sure that is possible

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store