Aesthetics and Insulation

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

looney417

AC Members
Jul 7, 2007
I didn't realize how much electricity it might cost to keep a 100 gal warm...

is there a way to maybe keep it more insulated? trying to cut down the electric bill.

p.s. i'm not taping sterofoam to the sides of my tank.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Keep a lid on it if you don't have one already. Maybe drape a blanket over it at the night time hours when lights are off.

Pepe

AC Members
Jan 1, 2007
I 've been wanting to do a background with cork. I bet that would help if you did two or three sides.

Pepe

Lady Friesian

AC Members
Sep 26, 2006
I'm sure you don't want to move that big tank, but if you did, positioning it next to an interior wall rather than one that connects to the outside would probably help. If that's not where it is already.

Nessie

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
I didn't realize how much electricity it might cost to keep a 100 gal warm...is there a way to maybe keep it more insulated? trying to cut down the electric bill.
p.s. i'm not taping sterofoam to the sides of my tank.

Things to do to lower electricity usage:

--You can lower the temp of the tank a few degrees.
--You can keep the lights off during the daylight hours, helps with algae too
--You can tape/glue 1 inch blue styrofoam insulation on the BACK of the aquarium
--You can tape/glue 1 inch blue styrofoam insulation on the inside of your tank stand top thus providing some insulation to the bottom of the tank
--You can raise the temperature of your room, transfering heating costs to a furnace using cheaper oil/gas.
--You should have a glass/plastic top on the tank as evaporation will take heat with it.

If you do the calculations, your lights are probably costing you as much as your heater is as they run all year long regardless of room temperature.

This device from Amazon will give you a direct read out of the watts you are using. Calculate the kilo watt hours and get the cost per kilio watt from your electricity bill and you will know the actual cost of electricity for the tank and can play with various things to reduce that cost.

http://www.amazon.com/P3-Internatio...d_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1234982688&sr=8-1

Last edited:

looney417

AC Members
Jul 7, 2007
yea, but i can't do much about lights, unless i don't want plants...

darn, i shoulda thought about insulating the bottom...
my tank is in the corner, so the back and 1 side doesn't have alot of airflow around, alright i guess i can't do much.

aman74

AC Members
Feb 23, 2007
--You can raise the temperature of your room, transfering heating costs to a furnace using cheaper oil/gas.
Gas cheaper then electricity? I would think the cost of running an aquarium heater would be cheaper then raising your home temperature.

Also, are you saying to run your entire light cycle at night? Or just leave them off during the day and turn on for just a few hours at night?

EllTee424

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
Yeah, unless you are getting a sweetheart deal from your friendly neighborhood nuclear power plant / hydroelectric dam it's much cheaper to generate heat using natural gas than electricity.

Even though the tank is in a corner without much airflow you're still losing heat through conduction (from the sides of your tank to the walls of the room).

You can get rigid sheets of insulation at any home improvement store. A sheet underneath the tank will help some (although you'd have to drain the tank to lift it and slide it under). You can also put some on the sides of the tank between the glass and the wall. If it's a real tight fit I've also seen some semi-flexible rolls of the insulation that could slide in there. Just cut it to fit and you're good. Every little bit will help, and you probably won't be able to see it once it's all in.

A 1" thick 4'x8' full sheet is about $12 at the lowes near me.

Nessie

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
Generally oil/gas is cheaper then electricity. Of course it helps if your heating system has zones so you can heat a single room at whatever temp you want.

If you have a reef tank and need lights or a planted tank and need lights on 12+ hours per day then you're stuck. But if the lights are just for show you can leave them off except when you are home and need to see the fish. For most folks who are working that's just a few hours at night.

As for insulating the bottom I wouldn't put the insulation directly under the tank but inside the tank stand itself. If you insulate the inside top of the tank stand you'll be doing something to reduce heat loss. Inside the tank stand you can use either styrofoam or fiberglass batting depending on which is cheaper.

looney417

AC Members
Jul 7, 2007
You can get rigid sheets of insulation at any home improvement store. A sheet underneath the tank will help some (although you'd have to drain the tank to lift it and slide it under). You can also put some on the sides of the tank between the glass and the wall. If it's a real tight fit I've also seen some semi-flexible rolls of the insulation that could slide in there. Just cut it to fit and you're good. Every little bit will help, and you probably won't be able to see it once it's all in.

what do you mean by "rigid sheets of insulation" is this the stuff inside the drywalls. And any ideas for it to hug the tank sort of? double sided tape is all i can think of.
Hmm, well I'll goto lowes and home depot when/if you reply. i hope they have like 3/4inch or something. I think 1 inch might be to much, if i tape them to my sides, i think the visible side will show, at least i can have it flush to the stand and canopy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store