Fish acting strange - Please Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jim123

AC Members
May 2, 2009
The tank is 5 to 6 weeks old. I made the mistake of stocking the tank during the first 2 days.

Even after water changes my Nitrite readings used to be high. This is the first time that I have seen them at 0. I will do a reading tonight and post my results.

jim123

AC Members
May 2, 2009
Fancy Goldfish flipping out

Every day is something.

I just observed my large fancy goldfish acting really strange. He swam down to the bottom of the tank and did a full flip around (upside down) then swam to the top. He did this a few times and is looking like he is struggling. Sort of seems like the current in the tank is too strong. This tank is about 6 weeks old and current has never been an issue before. The other fish are totally fine.

Sort of seems drunk.

Ammonia and Nitrites are 0. Nitrates are 10 to 20. I completed the cycle recently.

Any ideas?

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Uh-oh! I don't know what is wrong or how to help, but I wish you the best and hope mr fancy-face feels better soon! How long have you had him? Have you added any new fish to the 6-week old tank that may have brought something in?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Hi Jim,

I merged your threads so we can follow through one thread only and avoid confusions. I am on the firm belief your goldfish must be reacting to the effects of high nitrite in the last few days. I'd do another water change right now and test the water parameters again. If nitrite elevates again, do another water change and use salt this time to neutralize the toxic effects. Salt solution is only temporary until you make sure nitrite falls to zero.

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
yup just a bit too much nitrite... keep it monitored

the reason we convern nitrite into nitrate via the nitrogen cycle is because nitrite is incredibly harmfull to fish.. and 20ppm is really high for nitrite

consider yourself lucky you had no deaths, and congrats on getting your water level under control

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Glad to see you made another update with a good news. Continue watching the water and the fish closely. Hopefully, the problem ceases.:)

jim123

AC Members
May 2, 2009
I did some reading in a Hardcover Fancy Goldfish book and flipping over seems to be a sign to high Nitrate levels. My levels are between 10 and 20, and I know that is safe.

I was thinking, maybe since my tank just completed the cycle, the fish is not really used to Nitrates and was acting a little strange? Maybe he needs to get used to Nitrates?

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Sadly, even after the tank cycles, fish may die from either ammonia or nitrite poisoning. Ammonia poisoning can cause long term damage that can result in the kind of "drunken" swimming you are describing:

"Internal damage is occurring to the brain, organs, and central nervous system. . . . When ammonia is elevated for a long period, it is not unusual to lose fish even after the ammonia levels start to drop."
--http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/ammoniapoison.htm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store