Fish acting strange - Please Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zebulon

Allergic
May 9, 2007
At the Bottom, gilling rapidly.
The problem I think is largely one of oxygen deprivation. Ammonia and nitrite both damage the gill function, although in different ways. Dain Bramage is a big deal for an animal that only starts out with a few neurons to begin with. The effects on even a very hardy fish species is what generates the strong feelings towards "fishy cycling" from many forumites.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
I was thinking, maybe since my tank just completed the cycle, the fish is not really used to Nitrates and was acting a little strange? Maybe he needs to get used to Nitrates?
As with Ammonia and Nitrites, Nitrates are toxic to all fish. Poisons and toxic chemicals/byproducts are not something living creatures ever "get used to." It's also not something fish can develop an immunity from through prior exposure. This toxicity is still a health hazard, even while the fish "appears" to be fine. And this is why long-term harm can be done to fish that aren't protected well enough (through frequent enough water changes) when they get put through a "fishy" cycle.

I have a 55 gallon tank with 4 fancy goldfish. They have been doing fine up until now.
Your stocking level is great for the tank size you have. You're doing a fine job of goldfishkeeping, Jim. Keep up the good work!! :)

Is my tank too hot?
I checked my thermometer and saw that the water is at 74 to 75 degrees. The room I keep the tank in is kept at a constant 72.
I agree with the above. My air went out for a few days last summer and even though the goldfish tank was in the high 80's, the goldfish appeared unaffected.
I would do a water change ASP to reduce the nitrites.
At 74-75 degrees, your tank is a little on the warm side. The ideal temp for goldfish is in the 70-73 degree range. You definitely need to keep the overall temp over the long term at or below 75 degrees. What happens when goldfish are kept above 75 and up into the 80-degree ranges, is their metabolism speeds up drastically and it stays there all the time at a constant level. (Kinda like revving an engine and leaving it there continually will result in higher fuel consumption and a lot of wear and tear.)

This gives us a false impression that everything is just fine because the super high activity level makes it look like they're happy and playful all the time. What we don't see through behavior is how dramatically this higher metabolic rate stresses the fish, preventing them from getting adequate rest periods when they sleep and making them more prone to digestive problems (which is already a huge factor).... to disease, parasites, and other ailments... and how it cuts down their potential lifespan. If they manage to avoid getting sick at this high temp/metabolic level.. they will still sort of burn themselves out and have relative short lifespan. (The same is also true with high quality breeding stock fish that are bred extensively for only a few short years and with show quality fish being prepped, groomed, conditioned, and transported all the time for exhibiting.)

You're looking at fancies that have a 20+ year natural lifespan if kept under good conditions.

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
As with Ammonia and Nitrites, Nitrates are toxic to all fish. Poisons and toxic chemicals/byproducts are not something living creatures ever "get used to." It's also not something fish can develop an immunity from through prior exposure.

not too sure about that little tidbit there... though its very sad and not something anyone should attempt to do...

I have resced a few fish from tanks with OVER 200ppm nitrate levels and on a couple of occasions they were swimming around and eating and acting very healthy

sometimes the abilities that fish have never seize to amaze me...

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
I'd agree with that to a limited extent, 7itanium. There are times when fish aren't permanently damaged from highly toxic levels over a short term... if rescued soon enough, there might not be any harm done. Not something to expect or count on, though. There are also cases that are very long term where all the parameters evolve slowly into a very strange environment (namely, old tank syndrome) where only some of the fish die off and the survivors continue living... at least while that altered balance still exists.

Both are good exceptions to what I was saying before, but neither case is recommended for either short-term health and well being or for long-term longevity.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store