use of "them" in place of "him/her"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Oddly enough, I'm not, either-- I only correct grammar when I get paid to do so (or when something really gets my goat-- like this argument and the random use of "random.")
Sorry I missed the partial sarcasm-- I guess I hear this SOOOO often on my job in all seriousness, that I assumed you weren't kidding. My bad. (Which is really not grammatically correct, either.)

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
I used to use big words and fancy grammar until I decided it sounded pretentious... I have found that being more lax in my speech and typing makes me easier to relate to for most people.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I used to use big words and fancy grammar until I decided it sounded pretentious... I have found that being more lax in my speech and typing makes me easier to relate to for most people.
Again, this is merely my opinion, but I think the opposite in that I don't find it pretentious at all. I think that when someone puts forth the time and effort to properly spell and use proper grammar/mechanics, it means that they put effort into their responses. In other words, they take their response seriously and earnestly. In my opinion, seeing a post that looks as though zero effort was involved is somewhat rude. I don't mean posts in which someone is using, for example, a cell phone (or worse yet, a psp or similar) or if English isn't a first language. This is in reference to people who are fully capable and make no effort. It just seems so disrespectful to other posters, IMHO. It doesn't necessarily bother me to any real extent, but I feel there is a better way to go about doing it.

stratusfearrr

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
Again, this is merely my opinion, but I think the opposite in that I don't find it pretentious at all. I think that when someone puts forth the time and effort to properly spell and use proper grammar/mechanics, it means that they put effort into their responses. In other words, they take their response seriously and earnestly. In my opinion, seeing a post that looks as though zero effort was involved is somewhat rude. I don't mean posts in which someone is using, for example, a cell phone (or worse yet, a psp or similar) or if English isn't a first language. This is in reference to people who are fully capable and make no effort. It just seems so disrespectful to other posters, IMHO. It doesn't necessarily bother me to any real extent, but I feel there is a better way to go about doing it.

I agree, i feel that an eloquent paper using large words and proper grammer shows that they put the effort into it.

Also, i found that using hard-hitting verbs can make or break a paper. Through discussions with my teacher, we have come to a conclusion that verbs are VERY important to any paper.

And i also agree on the fact that someone who is so hurried in posting something, and uses incorrect spelling, is annoying. Its a pian to raed smothing tht is spelt tereribly.

Haha just kidding, havent seen something that bad.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I guess it depends on the situation, but in a casual setting I agree with Liz.

arachnar

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
English never had any rules till we started setting them down in the 1700's or 1800's.

Personally I'm glad whom is on its way out...

Last edited:

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Liz makes a good point, but it makes the assumption that everyone who uses "fancy grammar" (I'm not too sure what that is) in speech doesn't use that level of language every day. You can only be pretentious if you are using language that you DON'T normally use.

About vocabulary, you're dead on, Liz. If it isn't something you would use in everyday conversation, chances are good that it doesn't belong in writing, either, IMHO.

Stratus- was the status quo example that you gave the one your teacher presented in class? If so, there may be a reason for the rule that is particular, and can't be generalized to all cases. Good thread, BTW!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store