CONFESSION! I FLUSH FISH!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Jun 25, 2007
I came back to this forum after a long absence and immediately see this thread, which reminded me of why I left in the first place.

Just because fish can't 'solve an equation' is no reason to cause them unnecessary suffering. By that standard, you'd flush a person with Down's syndrome.

Going away again now. For a much longer time.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Some scientologicals are now arguing that fish are different to people.

lizzyrd

AC Members
Jan 16, 2010
I flush dead fish as well. Please atleast kill the fish before flushing. You are sentencing the fish to death by flushing it anyway, please at least ensure it will no longer suffer.

The debate on whether other live forms feels pain seems to be an issue of definition. What is your definition of pain? By definition, responding to stimulus is something all life forms do. It is necessary for a life form to respond to stimulus that damages it to stay alive and procreate. Could "a stimulus that causes damage to a life form" be defined as pain?

Does it matter? Why not err on the side of reducing suffering by quickly killing the fish before flushing?

lizzyrd

AC Members
Jan 16, 2010
Being 'merican you probably don't know this, but the Daily Mail (or Daily Heil as it's also known owing to its support in the 30s for Moseley's fascists) is about as credible as a reporter of science as the World Weekly News. Put it another way, if they posted that grass was green I'd stick my head out of the window to check.
Always check regardless of the source. Don't kneel to arguments by authority! Critical thinking is good :D

kevinb120

AC Members
Jan 22, 2010
Centreville Va

MiniMolly

Registered Member
Jul 5, 2010
Yea me too! And I spent $30.00 on my HM Betta! And now his tail split in half! :'( I KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF BETTAS! (He got stressed from breeding...) But I went out and bought medicine for him. But my Bettas never die right when I get them. I can normally keep them alove for 5+years. I would never flush a live fish! Only dead!

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
WOW way to revive a dead thread......

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
PETA called, they're offering aquarium screensavers. :evil_lol:

Great thread, I love these controversial topics!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Well I agree on most parts, but at least make sure the fish is dead first! Besides, I've been researching the intelligence of fish and research shows that the majority of fish are at least as smart as most mammals. It'd be like flushing a cat down the toilet.

well flushing a cat down the toilet would make quite a mess I think...... Would need one hefty plunger for that one >.<

JakeJ

Pubished in TFH!
Mar 27, 2010
Green Bay, WI
www.thejakearium.com
Real Name
Jacob (aka Jake)
Amen Bob! Amen. Fish are fish, and since I won't bring religion into this whole thing that's all I am going to say. I do agree that fish should be killed quickly and in a less painfull way (They are still just fish though!) but I am not going to buy some fancy shmatzy oil to kill them. Why not "humainly" kill them with a plastic lego boat? ( ; BTW "mother nature" sure isn't humane...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store