Has anyone looked in a local pond, stream or river?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Wow...old thread bump.

Usually its about 20:1

Yes it is an old thread :) ... followed it off a link on the bottom of a recent thread!

Seemed the right place to ask. I've never been worried about bleaching plant from fellow aquarists that seem to be trustworthy and have good feedback ratios- but searching local streams and ponds is something I've been considering for a while and I would want to be fairly sure I'm not bringing back any beasties.

Anyhow- after seeing so many people talk about bleach dips over the months I was just curious how strong to make it...

... thank you!

How long do you dip for? Or, is it literally just a "dip".

deeleywoman

All men are equal before fish.
Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
old thread, yes, but a good one to revive! =)

TechAquaria

AC Members
Sep 3, 2009
Elodea hard to find in California!

I live in the central valley of California. They have been running massive 'weed' eradication campaigns here, to rid the Delta of non-native 'problem plants.'

Suddenly, bunches of elodea which use to cost $1.99-$2.50 a large bunch have more than doubled in price, and just about half-ed in size! Some other plants have done about the same.

I bet you think I spend a lot of time wondering why.:huh: LOL!

Regards,
TA

froglover007

Obsessed 13-year-old
Apr 15, 2009
Alberta
I was fishing at a lake in BC and it was packed full of Eurasian Milfoil.

steffish

AC Members
Apr 18, 2006
Local ponds have ludwegia, cabomba, elodea, hornwort, bladderwort,hairgrass, and the banks are full of bog plants-lobelia, sphagnum moss, sundews, fourleaf clover, more hairgrass... While SO is busy feeding worms to the fish:) , I'm busy checking out the shoreline! I keep the pond plants in a separate tank so I can see what crawls out of them! Of course, after seeing all the little critters I am getting reluctant to go in the water!

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
keep in mind that in some states (like here in CA), it's illegal to possess any item on the "Encycloweedia," even if you are removing it from an infestation that they would like to be cleared. (Hey, I don't write the rules.)

While this is specifically pointed out in the CA Ag Dept. documents, I have no idea whether either the state or your county agents would be upset in real life, tho.

iamvictor2k

AC Members
Jan 19, 2010
tennessee
i dont even worry about the bugs and creatures and have not done any dipping just rinsing. if you put local fish in your tank its not gonna do any good to bleach your plants. i rinse them and throw them in. i live to watch my Bolivian ram, kerbensis, and African leaf fish comb threw the plants to eat all the creepy crawlies. the dont stop until they are all gone. i look for the bugs / things to throw in the tank. i mean its free food and the fish can never get enough. i get great joy out of watching this. since i have started i dont think i have missed a week not going out to my streams, ponds, lakes to fined this nifty feeder fish, plants, keeper fish, and live food. i picked up a striped bass and 3 sun fish so far. and i have found about 10 different types of trumpet snails 2 different types of plants and some bad as drift wood. and probably about 3-4 different types of moss. my red tail barbs have demolished all of them except for the natural java moss witch surprisingly looks exactly like the stuff you buy in the store.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store