Has anyone looked in a local pond, stream or river?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dan06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
Most lakes and a lot of rivers in my area are either polluted or treated chemically for weed control....

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
I have thought about collecting some plants from a nearby pond, I have no idea yet what they are but they completely coat the bottom of the pond and look like an underwater forest. Might try to get pictures on a clear day for some ID.

bkw1982

I'M GOING TO ZOMBIELAND
Aug 6, 2006
San Antonio, TX
bkw1982 what lake or river are you going to around san antonio?
Ive collected from a creek that runs through downtown, this is where i first started. Alot of bog plants and broadleaf sag. Some parts are heavily polluted so i don't vist there much anymore.

Parts of the San Antonio river that run through brackenridge park.

Mitchell lake-shhh don't tell anyone,i don't think i was supposed to :)

Woodlawn lake-not much there, where i saw some of the hornwort looking stuff. Mostly garbage

I wanna get out to canyon lake to see whats out there, or maybe to New Braunfels. There are so many waterways and lakes to choose from. I was looking for someone who is more experianced at it then i am to help me pick good spots that aren't polluted lol.

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
You hit upon it. Plants would be absolutely dirt cheap from the areas they come from ... but, due to quarantine, regulations, controls, etc. we see them as expensive and unique ... capitalism--don't ya' just luv it?

However, some have already dumped these "weeds" into our streams ... somehow, God works to balance all this ... LOL

Regards,
JS
You need more research. Introduced plants have devastated many lakes all across the US. Here is one.

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/plants/weeds/hyacinth.html

Dumped plants have UPSET the BALANCE that was established over millions of years.

I really hope I am misunderstanding you in that you seem to think it's OK. It is if you want to gather some free plants. It's not if you think there is no problem with invasive plants destroying long established eco systems.

Q

aquaholic

AC Members
Jan 4, 2004
WA
Visit site
Well how about someone telling us how to introduce these plants into the tanks safely, without really screwing things up?? I might visit my cuz'ns house who has a huge creek running through his propertie. I asked him about plants and he said he wouldnt do it because he once added a freshwater mussel and a couple plants and his whole 55g tank died of in less that a week. He didnt know which it was but that does frighten me to try and throw something in my tank.

bkw1982

I'M GOING TO ZOMBIELAND
Aug 6, 2006
San Antonio, TX
I get them home, rense them under tap water to get all the dirt and what not off, then i do a bleach dip, followed by a rinse in water with an OD of prime. After that i stick em in a 10g tank to make sure nothing crawls off. Eventually it gets moved to another tank to see if will grow.

This works for me so far.

Darkness9876

AC Members
Aug 11, 2008
No Where Kansas
I get them home, rense them under tap water to get all the dirt and what not off, then i do a bleach dip, followed by a rinse in water with an OD of prime. After that i stick em in a 10g tank to make sure nothing crawls off. Eventually it gets moved to another tank to see if will grow.

This works for me so far.
What not. The quintessential english phrase.

Goes well in the sentence.
You know with the what not and so on and so forth.

Underused and underappreciated.

As for my collected plants I wash them off, bleach them, wash them off and drop them in the tank.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
How dillute does one make the bleach dip- and how long does one bleach-dip for- and what not and so forth?

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Wow...old thread bump.

Usually its about 20:1

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store