People are IDIOTS !!! (Craigslist rant)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
I got a 55g, though they said it was a 50. Oddly enough, I was kinda hoping it was a 50g. Lol! It came with a bunch of stuff, but the drive home was awful. It fit with a CM on one side and my seats had to be up and so forward....
I've found lots of 'big' tanks that turned out tiny, it's very annoying. Almost as annoying as people who over price like mad. 55g for $300....hah!

WinstonCourt

AC Members
May 30, 2010
MORONS............ THEY'RE ALL MORONS !!!!!!
Yeah, up until about a year ago, good deals were not that rare on CL. Nowadays, it is crapola, broken, chipped, no tops, leaking, etc. Like anything else, there are too many people around with money to buy junk.

I especially like the reefers charging $400, $800, $1,200, $2,500 etc. They may have spent that, they will never get that. Indeed, I suspect most of 'em end up hanging on to the tank or giving it as a 'present' to a family member. LOL

Most of the time, their choice of filters, heaters, lighting, pumps, etc. don't match mine. I got a closet full of the junk after having given\thrown much of it away.

The ones I especially love are the ones having a ton of plastic plants I don't want. A load of wood I don't like, and rocks I don't even want in my yard.

FishTank719

AC Members
Apr 25, 2010
the craigslist adds in my area are all tanks people have sold and forget to take down the adds so everyother e-mail is "sorry i sold it" you think they would remember to take it down

FishPish

AC Members
May 31, 2010
This is the exact reason I don't do Craigslist. You'll find you can usually find the same item for 25-30% more brand new or closeout. After this fact it is then warrantied for 90days or more, the salesperson wants you to come back, and usually somebody at a store is way more knowledgeable about their products. Its just guaranteed success. Why risk it?

In my opinion, its only worth it to find a killer deal. Its just way easier dealing with refunds when dealing with return policies rather than peoples' good will. Lots of people are out there just trying to maximize their personal gain instead of just trying to give somebody a good deal. You don't want to get spun into wasting 40 or 50 bucks in gas while driving to inspect aquariums either.

If you KNOW what to look for in an aquarium and are a connoisseur of aquarium inspection, then by all means purchase an aquarium on Craigslist. Look for deals too, and don't just try to save a couple bucks instead of buying new equipment that is guaranteed not to fail. :pc:

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
I think people not knowing tank sizes is understandable, but I think some people on CL feign ignorance.

I saw an "80" gallon on craigslist but it turned out to a standard 55. I emailed the guy and he thanked me for letting him know, but left his ad up.

The best source for used tanks has been my local fish club forum. Also the auctions usually have great prices on tanks.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
I for one have gotten in the habit of always asking for the dimensions for just that very reason. I'll just politely ask for the measurements so I can make sure it will "fit" where I plan on putting it.

And I agree that most people don't really know what they "actually" have. It's just what they got it as.

Definately ask lots and lots of questions. After all...it's your money you're spending right? ;o)

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Never bought a tank from Craigslist, prob never will now...

Rob24

AC Members
Apr 21, 2003
http
Got another good one today! (I knew it was to good to be true)

250 gallon fish tank for sale $250
Filters, Stand ETC.

My thoughts.... Hmmm 250 thats an odd ball size. I sent out the email. Asked my normal questions. Dimentions ETC she replid back... Oh my bad it's only a 29 gallon. Do you still want it? :headshake2:

How do you miss judge 221 Gallons????

FISHSHROD

FI double SH ROD
Aug 18, 2005
Pompano Beach,Fl.
Real Name
Mark
You call them MORONS I call them GOOF BALLS :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store