malaysian trumpethorn snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

downset21

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
All of my plants are thriving except my red flame sword plant. I have mts in my substrate, and my sword has holes in it and seems to be dying. I bought it as a mother plant and I separated it into smaller pieces and spread it out. Do mts eat plants? I thought they were plant safe.

silentcircuit

AC Members
Mar 3, 2011
Columbia, SC
Real Name
Chris
Pretty sure they don't eat plants that aren't already dieing. I've heard they'll eat decaying plant bits, but not healthy leaves. Might be wrong of course.

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
there are some species that do eat plants I think.

Most of your common ones do not though.

sailedNJ

marine biologist & architect
Jan 9, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Real Name
Art Vandelay
MTS don't eat plants, that is one of the reasons they are favored by planted tank enthusiasts, because they don't eat plants, stir up sand bottoms, & eat excess food.

If I had to guess, based on what you're saying "All of my plants are thriving except my red flame sword plant" I'd say that it's some sort of nutrient deficiency that is the culprit. If it was the MTS causing the problem then your other plants would show signs of predation too.

I have a planted invert tank stocked with both MTS & briggs as well as shrimp & have never had a problem with my snails eating my plants. Sword plants generally are pretty undemanding but it could be lacking some light or maybe iron.

If you can provide pics
it would be easier for others to chime in & opine.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Holes usually is a lack of potassium (K). Also "RED" plants need a little Iron (FE).

downset21

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
I use flourish daily/weekly depending on the nutrients needed. I dose with potassium and iron, excel, and flourish. I have 4 t5 bulbs. 2 10k, 1 "roseatte", and 1 6k.

Last edited:

colleen0309

AC Members
Jul 21, 2010
Freedom, NY
that's exactally what happened to my swords! I don't have MTS, or any other snails, in that tank. I did catch my angelfish munching on it the other day.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It looks to me like the older leaves are dying but you have healthy new leaves. Many swords (& other plants) are grown emersed, leaves out of the water. Those leaves will die off & be replaced by submerged leaves. Often the new leaves will be different, shorter stems, narrower leaves etc. Or a similar leaf die off can happen if the new tank is very different than the old; CO2, lighting etc.

Just cut off the dying leaves near the crown. MTS will eat dying/dead plants.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
1) Looks like something is eatting it. Do you have a pleco??
2) Swords are root feeders, do you have/use root tabs??
3) What is your nitrate level?? Looks like it maybe low.
4) Pinch off some of the worst leaves, the plant will do better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store