Stocking Suggestions for a 4 Gallon Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sushigeek

AC Members
Nov 20, 2011
As this is my first post to Aquaria Central, I would like to say I am a advanced beginner who would like some advice on stocking my planted, cycled 4 gallon tank. A picture of the basic system is found here. Nitrate and Nitrite are both at 0, and the pH is about 7.0, leaning towards 6. The plants in my tank are a banana lily, a crypt, and several small sword plants, all of which are thriving. I understand the small nature of my setup limits my stocking options, but I am currently leaning towards either a couple of Western Mosquitofish or a single male Betta. I also would like a recommendation for a good heater for my tank, as I have not purchased one yet.

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
what is the ammonia level? how did you cycle? if nitrate is at 0 I would be skeptical of the initial cycle being done. Even with plants you should have some reading on nitrates.

For a 4 gal I wouldn't do anything but a single betta.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
if your nitrate is at zero then your tank is not cycled. how did you go about 'cycling' it?

i would suggest a shrimp/snail tank. being as that pico style tank does not have a lid and doing a DIY lid wouldn't be the easiest task or prettiest looking lid, i would do inverts only to avoid the chance of fish jumping out. a handful of cherry shrimp and a couple rabbit snails would be perfect for 4 gallons.

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
Since she has a lot of plants, her tank could easily be cycled and no traces of nitrates can be seen. I experience this with my tank.

I would say go for a small colony of Mosquito fish. They are awesome and social little creatures.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
The plants in my tank are a banana lily, a crypt, and several small sword plants, all of which are thriving.
this many plants would not account for a zero nitrate reading IMO. a tank would have to be chock full of plants in order to eat up those nitrates.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
as for a heater (sorry, i missed that at first!), i would go with the Elite brand. this is the only heater i feel safe using (so many stories of heaters failing, or worse, blowing up!). Elite makes a little 25 watt that would work great for that size tank.

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
this many plants would not account for a zero nitrate reading IMO. a tank would have to be chock full of plants in order to eat up those nitrates.
I've experienced it myself and I probably don't have as much plants. That swordplant could easily eat up a lot of the nutrients. But only her answers if her tank is cycled will tell

Sushigeek

AC Members
Nov 20, 2011
BettaFishMommy:

The tank was cycled with a combination of Tetra SafeStart and fish food. The tank has also been sitting for three months after the initial cycling, and ammonia is 0.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
You could do a small colony of gambusia, but be prepared for a lot of violence. These are not very nice fish! I would also suggest only males, as a female has a high chance of killing everything else in the tank.

Sushigeek

AC Members
Nov 20, 2011
Interesting. I've heard about gambusia being aggressive, but I never knew that mosquito fish displayed the same trait . . . are gambusia and mosquitofish the same thing?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store