Stocking Suggestions for a 4 Gallon Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sushigeek

AC Members
Nov 20, 2011
Thanks guys! In fact, I applaud you all for your bluntness in telling me how wrong I was. In the end, I decided not to get any fish because I felt the choices were too limited . . . but I'm thinking about getting a 20 sometime soon.:grinno:

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
I'm glad to see this thread has been helpful for you, welcome to AC. It sounds like you are on the right track. Once you get your nitrates up and your tank is cycled, and you add a fish you will have much better luck at keeping it healthy. A single betta in a 4 gallon tank would be quite happy. And a healthy, happy fish will likely excite you further, and you'll want that 20. Then you'll want a 40. And so on...:D

I think a lot of people would recommend a 20 long over a 20 high though, it will give you more options with fish. Good luck!

Sushigeek

AC Members
Nov 20, 2011
Thanks for your suggestions, finsNfur! I found a great article on cycling, and understand it much better now.

londonloco

AC Members
Oct 15, 2009
I have 7 planted tanks, some heavily, some moderately, I normally do not have a nitrate reading in any of my tanks, all tanks have been set up with fish living for years. The blanket assumption your tank is not cycled unless you have a nitrate reading in a planted tank is misleading. Decaying plants will feed the bacteria, maybe not enough to prevent an ammonia spike if you add a lot of fish, but if you have plants in your tank, you probably do have some bacteria present. If you stock lightly at first, and do 50% water changes every few days while the bacteria builds, you should be fine. To be safe, I'd go spend 10$ on a bottle of Seachem Stability, I cycle all my new tanks with it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store