125 gal Goby tank build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MurphysAquarist

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
Fayetteville, AR, USA
Real Name
James
Added a video of the currents. The tank is clearing up nicely. Looking for stocking inhabitants now and have made some email contacts toward that end. I don't know the proper way to post youtube vids but this link works. Pay no attention to the heavy breathing. The guy who shot the vid was very excited. LOL

http://youtu.be/h4u-48T4oyI

Mark
I've been looking at the different stream setups on here (found a grand total of 2 now) and I'd like to do something similar in the future. Now I have no experience with powerheads but I had a thought (shocker I know). You said you were looking for differing currents and eddies, what about staggering the height of the powerheads? It would make no difference with the intakes but making the heads at different heights should "mess up" the flow giving you eddies and such. In fact, I think it would be very similar to nature with the water coming from over rocks and uneven stream bed. Any thoughts pro or con? Do like your tank very much in case I hadn't already said so. :)

aquaponicpaw

AC Members
Dec 12, 2011
beautifull tank and great Job on the manifold. The guy who developed this design was actually the first to get Hillstream Loaches to breed in a tank. I wish you the bestt of luck with that.[video=youtube_share;h4u-48T4oyI]http://youtu.be/h4u-48T4oyI[/video]

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I love the scape, btw. So you used the plumbing just because you wanted to try it out, cool. I was just curious about it is all :) May I ask why you want lots of eddies?
I visualized some of the trout streams I fished as a kid in Ca. Some of them were swift, others slower. In those where there were rocks and boulders of varying size, often the big boulder would divert the stream around, causing an eddy on the backside where the fish often congregated. Few fish want to fight current continually, especially the white clouds I'll add. Eddies and areas of less flow give them a chance to rest in calmer waters. This all may be a little far-fetched for a 125 gal aquarium. Having never tried one of these set-ups before, I had to rely on my imagination... lol what little of it there is. Anyway, it's not cast in concrete so if it needs modification I can do it.

Mark

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
What gobies are you looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Rhinogobius zhoui and some other rhinos. I also like some of the stiphodons... just have to make sure the different species are compatible. I'll also put some hillstreams and white clouds in... possibly some more kuhlis and some sumo loaches.

Mark

f1sleepy

AC Members
Mar 25, 2012
Southern CA
Real Name
James
Cool set up. Why not just use a few oversized powerheads instead of hat plumbing set up?
Using the river manifold design helps provide a more directional current while also providing significant mechanical and even some biological filtration. My sponge filters actually remove a lot of plant debris from the water preventing my canister from getting loaded up as quickly.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Wow, the tank looks great! You were really fast setting it up too. I have a "riverish" tank (no manifold) & love the few gobies & hillstream loaches I have. I was thinking of whiteclouds too, a classic choice, but now I may try 1 of the "other" whiteclouds, t. micagemmae or the new lemon species.

I can't wait to see what fish you get, 125g you can have lots!

OT--what made you give up your discus?

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
So jealous! Looks great though!

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Wow, the tank looks great! You were really fast setting it up too. I have a "riverish" tank (no manifold) & love the few gobies & hillstream loaches I have. I was thinking of whiteclouds too, a classic choice, but now I may try 1 of the "other" whiteclouds, t. micagemmae or the new lemon species.

I can't wait to see what fish you get, 125g you can have lots!

OT--what made you give up your discus?
I wanted those discus bred. They were too gorgeous to have their genes die out. Since I didn't have the time, money or proper facilities to accomplish it, I sold them to a friend in Houston who breeds discus.

Mark

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Amazing job and setup Mark!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store