125 gal Goby tank build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I'm setting my 125 gal up as a high current tank for gobies, hillstreams and possibly some white clouds.

Here's what the tank looked like when I started this morning:

There are 5 ABNs, 4 kuhli loaches and a few hundred shrimp.

Mark

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
The first thing I did was pull all the plants and driftwood and put them in buckets. Then I built a powerhead manifold. I pinched the design from a guy who did a similar project:
Layout of the pieces and fittings

Ratcheting pvc cutters are one of the handiest tools ever

the frame put together

Intake tubes drilled out

Fluval prefilter sponges were a perfect fit

powerheads mounted

Mark

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I wanted to put both spray bars at one end and both intakes at the other. This required some tubing extensions.

Reinforced poly tubing and nylon hose barb fittings

connecting poly hose to uplift tubes

joining the extensions to the factory intake tubes

Both filters at left side of tank... both spray bars on upper left side pointing across the top of the tank

Mark

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Next, I removed all of the pool filter sand. It was completely infested with MTS.

Then I did a quick 50% water change, then installed the manifold.

Mark

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
how old are your BNs about? i have some, biggest maybe 2.5 if not 2 inches.. ( male i think? as its starting to grow some bristles, or so my eyes are telling me )

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
It took 2 1/2 Bags of Pool filter sand to cover the manifold and give a clean look to the substrate.

Sorry I didn't stop to takes more pics as I scaped the tank, but once I got started I never thought of a stopping point until it was done.

Definitely a full day's work.
Now I have to save up for some Rhinogobius Zhoui, some stiphodons, hillstreams and white clouds.

Mark

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
how old are your BNs about? i have some, biggest maybe 2.5 if not 2 inches.. ( male i think? as its starting to grow some bristles, or so my eyes are telling me )
They're 4 or 5 yrs. old now. The three females are about 5 to 5 1/2" and one male is about 6". Mr. Stickerface is probably 7".

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store