Bald-faced hornet

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ECooper

AC Members
Jun 30, 2010
Vancouver

I haven't posted here for ages! For that matter I haven't done much photography for ages. I didn't lose interest, life just got a bit too busy.
But spring is here and its time to break out the camera gear and start shooting some bugs. In the meantime I've been going through my files and came accross this picture of a bald-faced hornet (Dolichovespula maculata) that I shot last summer. I love the face on this beast...and the way these wasps rest with their front legs off the ground.

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com
Camera: Olympus OM-D E-M5
Lens: Zuiko 60mm micro four thirds macro
Settings: manual exposure (F11 @ 1/160 sec)
Lighting: Olympus flash (I don't remember which one or the setting—oops!)
ISO: 200

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
See.....aliens do exist!

Nice photo like always!

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I took a few bug pics last summer but I really need to pic up a macro lens. My subject was a tiger beetle. Talk about an insect that won't hold still! Those guys are lightening on 6 legs!

ECooper

AC Members
Jun 30, 2010
Vancouver
I took a few bug pics last summer but I really need to pic up a macro lens. My subject was a tiger beetle. Talk about an insect that won't hold still! Those guys are lightening on 6 legs!
I'm jealous! Tiger beetle are really uncommon where I live...I've never even seen one, never mind had the chance to photograph one!

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I'm jealous! Tiger beetle are really uncommon where I live...I've never even seen one, never mind had the chance to photograph one!
I never knew we had them either as we've only been in this house for 2 years now but last summer I found them running all over the forest floor behind our house. Here's a photo of one I snapped that was in the middle of eating a caterpillar. It was sitting still which is the only way I could have ever got the photo! (sorry, not trying to hijack your photo thread)

180260_10151840188160223_2144639833_n.jpg

ECooper

AC Members
Jun 30, 2010
Vancouver
I never knew we had them either as we've only been in this house for 2 years now but last summer I found them running all over the forest floor behind our house. Here's a photo of one I snapped that was in the middle of eating a caterpillar. It was sitting still which is the only way I could have ever got the photo! (sorry, not trying to hijack your photo thread)
What a gorgeous critter! Nice photograph too. I'm even more jealous now. :) What State do you live in?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Excellent shots, guys!

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
What a gorgeous critter! Nice photograph too. I'm even more jealous now. :) What State do you live in?
Thank you! I had never seen this species before I moved here and being the nerd that I am I had to get photos of it. I live in south central Pennsylvania.

ECooper

AC Members
Jun 30, 2010
Vancouver
Thank you! I had never seen this species before I moved here and being the nerd that I am I had to get photos of it. I live in south central Pennsylvania.
There are a couple of small tiger beetle species that range into southern BC where I live, but they seem to be really rare. Hopefully I'll see/photograph one some day. Have you tried keeping one in captivity?

EC

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store