Divided tank, thoughts?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zendx

AC Members
Jul 2, 2014
CA
Real Name
Sarah
Not sure if this is the right area to put this, but after searching didn't come up with tank dividing (not for quarantine or fry purposes).

Here's what I'd like to do. Plain 10-20gal glass aquarium, glass partition siliconed in middle with filtration on either side. Most likely glass cover with acceptable plant rated LEDs.

Why do I want to do this? Space. Plus I'm a DIY-er & would like to choose my own filtration instead of buying a starter set.

Anyone have experience in this? Would love to hear tips, tricks, pros/cons etc. I've been keeping my eye on the Petco $1/gal sale... Lol

BONUS ROUND: thoughts on sponge filtration! New to that too. ;) just not everything else.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
You can get tank dividers or make one from plexiglass from the hardware store. If you go plexiglass spend the money to get thicker material as it will last a lot longer.

Sponge filters, are a must! I use air driven sponge filters rated for 120gal in all my 20L tanks and they work very well. They keep the water stabilized. If you get a very cheap inside tank overflow filter and run it an hour each week on each side of the tank it should keep it looking just filled.

Tank size, go with a 20L as it gives you two nice size tanks. You never said why you wanted to divide the tank, may I ask why?

BallAquatics

Fish Breeder
Oct 9, 2010
Central Ohio, USA
www.ballaquatics.com
Real Name
Dennis Ball
Use Poret foam for the divider and it works as a filter too! I've done this with large tanks that I use for fry grow-out with great success.

Stephan has everything you'll need over at Swiss Tropicals http://www.swisstropicals.com/library/mattenfilter/

Dennis

zendx

AC Members
Jul 2, 2014
CA
Real Name
Sarah
Hi henningc! Thanks for your reply! My reason is for space saving reasons. I'd love to give my toddler's little neons more room to flourish as well as let them have more plants. I just got into live plants & am totally loving them, I just need a good light. Speaking of sponge filters that's actually something I've been researching... Is there a specific brand I should be searching for? We have no LFS here so I'll have to Amazon it. Lol

Also, plexiglass over glass?

zendx

AC Members
Jul 2, 2014
CA
Real Name
Sarah
Hi BallAquatics! I hope I'm doing this reply thing right, lol. I need to read over the do's & dont's I thought it'd reply to each of you under your posts... Anyhow that's awesome! Do you also use sponge filters for it? Or just regular internals?

BallAquatics

Fish Breeder
Oct 9, 2010
Central Ohio, USA
www.ballaquatics.com
Real Name
Dennis Ball
Do you also use sponge filters for it? Or just regular internals?
By using Poret foam as the divider, it enables the divider to function as a huge sponge filter when water is pumped from one side to the other. There are several ways to do this. In my case, since I use air to power my filters, I simply install lift tubes into the foam divider. If you don't use central air in your fish room, you can place a small water pump in one end of the tank, and discharging the water at the other end of the tank to circulate the water through the foam divider.

I have just recently finished converting all of my 85+ tanks over to this type of filtration and don't know how I got along without it!

Dennis

zendx

AC Members
Jul 2, 2014
CA
Real Name
Sarah
That's just awesome, I'll check your profile for pictures of all your work!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store