AQ 110 (500) or Penguin 350B?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GOV

AC Members
Jan 9, 2007
Hello, :)

First post here, as I have been looking to replace some of the filtration I have on my 45 long. I only have 3 fish in there at the moment. 1 full grown Jack Dempsy, 1 adult Firemouth and a 14" Pleco :)

I have been using a EHEIM ECCO cansiter filter for a long time along with a generic HOB Power filter that my father in law gave me that sounds like a Sherman tank...lol

As, you can imagine the JD is a very messy fish and I want something that can keep up with his carnage :) I have been looking at buying a AQ110 or a Penguin 350B.

Would I be better off with one over the other? Easy of maintenance and noise are big factors. I have owned a smaller penguin in the past, and the impeller seemed to get stuck quite frequently. I have noticed that the AQ's are pretty popular here, so any advice is appreciated :)

Oh, and I am going to continue running the ECCO with the new filter. FYI

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
(thread moved)

I've used both types of filters and it seems the penguins have a nack of getting really noisy for no reason, after about a year or so of use. Aquaclears on the other hand, I'm running one that my mom was using 20-30 years ago and I can barely hear it. Aquaclears also have much more media options than the penguins, wich is a good thing if you have messy fish.

Riverfishguy

AC Members
Jan 5, 2007
i'd actually go with an emperor 400 ive got both the 350 penguin and the emperor and while the 350 is quieter the 400 has lots of media capacity for a HOB

Riverfishguy

AC Members
Jan 5, 2007
No I actually haven't tried the AC filters just really like the filter cartridge shaped media containers one the Emperor 400 though I do keep hearing the AC's are wonderful filters. I personally haven't ever had problems with marineland stuff but you know how personal experience varies lol.

GOV

AC Members
Jan 9, 2007
well, I think the deciding factor was the noise of the two. I have a smaller Penguin, and while it is a good filter, it does make a lot of noise after a while. So, I will give the AC a try and go from there :) Got it from BigAls and should be here in a day or two :)

Thanks again

Cakes

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
Good choice

well, I think the deciding factor was the noise of the two. I have a smaller Penguin, and while it is a good filter, it does make a lot of noise after a while. So, I will give the AC a try and go from there :) Got it from BigAls and should be here in a day or two :)

Thanks again
Suckers move a lot of water. Make sure you keep it clean, sometimes they can overflow out the sides and back.

BTW they are way better then the Emps, the Emps are great for awhile but then they are lucking to push a 1/4 of the flow rate they are listed at. The Emps are great for biological and that's about it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store