Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. D

Heating and Insulating

Heated basement. Temp can fluctuate. Anywhere between 68-72, give or take. I didn't think there was another option, but you never know what people come up with.
  2. D

Heating and Insulating

What are your thoughts on heating multiple tanks? Not really liking the idea of a central sump, but not loving the idea of multiple heaters either (although the control that gives me is a definite plus). Are there any alternatives apart from heating the entire room? (not possible given my...
  3. D

Did you know that airline tubing stiffens with age?

Yeah, that old tubing can be a pain. Which reminds me... I'm gonna need more...
  4. D

Mystery death?

Okay. So, here's the basics. I have a colony of 6 Neolamprologus multifasciatus. Tank Size: 10g Ammonia: 0 Nitrites: 0 Nitrates: High, at 50+ ppm The problem is, I lost one of the multies today. When I found the fish, the mouth was gaping unnaturally wide. Also no outward signs of trauma...
  5. D

Stocking Game!

I have a project I'm working on, and I'd love your help! But heck, why not make it entertaining? Let's make it a game! The rules to this game are as follows: Rule 1: You must not post the same fish as someone else. Rule 2: The fish in question must not outgrow a 10-20 gallon aquarium...
  6. D

Are they 'pets' or 'animals'?

For me, I don't really enter into the typical pet-to-owner relationship with any animal under my care. At the same time, ask msjinkzd how many times I PM'd her because of the multies I bought from her, both before and after purchasing, because I take a LOT of interest in making sure that I know...
  7. D

red devil and pleco issues

Edit: poster above beat me to it.
  8. D

Disappearing protrusion

Yeah? She doesn't seem to be doing much in the way of defending the shell yet, I've seen and heard they're supposed to be rather vigorous in trying to keep anyone and anything (including hands, tools, etc) away. Just too early for that yet?
  9. D

Disappearing protrusion

Oh, and on further inspection, when the 'male' draws close, the 'female' typically nips at him, but it's sort of a softer nudge, usually directed at the vent area. To be honest, it looks kind of like pre-spawning behaviour, but I'm trying to figure out if this would cause the significant...
  10. D

Disappearing protrusion

Okay, so... one of my multies had a whitish protrusion from the vent area when I first turned my lights on this morning. "She" (I'm thinking a female because two of them appear to have paired off and "she" is the smaller of the two) was spending most of her time in one of the shells, and when...
  11. D

shellie cichlids without shells

I've got a few who have taken up residence in very holey driftwood, but it seems to be a matter of dominance, they're the lower ones in the social hierarchy, so they appear to get second pick. But then again, I've only had them a short while, so I dunno how their whole social structure works...
  12. D

shellie cichlids without shells

I've only had multies, and them not for very long, but in my experience, they're out and about a lot. From my reading, they won't do particularly well without shells, or at least shell-like hiding places. Others might know more, but I think you'd be better off getting yourself some shells...
  13. D

10 gallon Hospital tank

Wouldn't a lot of what you're doing in a hospital tank (as opposed to just quarantining fish to make sure they're healthy before putting them in the main tank) screw with your biological filtration anyway? I'm re-learning a lot of this stuff, but it seems to me keeping a hospital tank cycled...
  14. D

CFL colors

Okay, so. I have 2 daylight CFL bulbs in my fixture on a 10g, but I don't really like the color the light gives. It comes across kind of yellowish. (Although not nearly so bad as when I had the 'soft white' type in there) I'm thinking about trading out one of them for a blue 'party light' CFL...
  15. D

Live Plants from PetSmart?

I can't find decent quality plants much of anywhere near me :( All either non-aquatics from Pet-Smart-Co-Land places, or just really sad and pitiful looking. Hope yours works out for you. But yeah. Definitely research anything you want to buy, particularly from the big chains because their...
  16. D

My New Additions.

:rofl:I saw the first two pics first and wasn't sure what to think!
  17. D

Biodenitrator Filters - Any Advice?

Most anywhere I've seen that has house plants carries them, generally under the name "Golden Pothos". Wal-mart, Home Depot, just about everywhere. Usually 10-14 bucks for a very nice sized plant.
  18. D

How long without food?

No, not the fish. How long can bacteria live without their ammonia/nitrites? See, I'm trying to get a tank set up to take my multies that will be coming in the mail. Have established filter media I can use, but if the fish show up when I'm not around, I want the process to be as simple as...
  19. D

I'm a Bad Fish Daddy

I'm echoing the others here. First, sorry for your loss. Chalk it up to a learning experience, take it from someone like me, who is bent on learning everything the hard way. Secondly, and in all complete seriousness, don't take out your anger on your fish. It isn't a 'murderer' and it isn't...
  20. D

Weird stuff growing on hornwort

Yeah, wasn't too worried about the growth... it just seemed weird that it was only growing on the old growth and nowhere near the new growth edit: how many times can I say the word 'growth' in a single post?
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store