CFL colors

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dafishman

AC Members
Aug 3, 2010
Okay, so. I have 2 daylight CFL bulbs in my fixture on a 10g, but I don't really like the color the light gives. It comes across kind of yellowish. (Although not nearly so bad as when I had the 'soft white' type in there)

I'm thinking about trading out one of them for a blue 'party light' CFL. Thoughts?

VictorSmalls

AC Members
Feb 5, 2004
Tyrone, PA
Visit site
I had the same problem when picking light for my CFLs on my 20L. I was shopping at Walmart the other day and found some CFL bulbs that say 6500 right on the front of the package. When home and put them it and they were the color I was dreaming of and my plants seem to like them as well.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Blue lights won't grow plants, so if you're growing plants, that just won't work! Besides, it will look VERY blue. Fine if you were doing fake marine, but not so fine otherwise :)

Try the Lights of America bulbs that Walmart sells in their fish dept. They look very nice to me, less yellow than regular daylight bulbs. I also like the kind of light that Ottlite task lights give out.

Edit: Just saw the post above mine. Yes, these are it!

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Look for a specific kelvin rating on the bulbs.
What one company advertises as a daylight bulb may be different from another
I have seen "daylight" Bulbs as low as 4100K

I personally like the 6500-6500k

NewObsession

AC Members
Aug 27, 2007
if it's like most 10 gallon incandescent hoods with one fixture in the middle and bulbs sticking out each side be forewarned that putting 2 different bulbs in will give you 2 distinctly differnt coloured sides in your tank. It's not like putting both together and getting an over all appearance. Because of they way they are situated and the reflectors etc, by replacing one bulb with a blue bulb you will get one side yellowish and the other side blue. It may look cool, but be aware they won't blend and light up the whole tank.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Yeah, different brands definitely have different kelvin ratings for what they term "daylight". I'm using both Satco and Feit's daylight bulbs - the former is 5000k (yellowish white), the latter is 6500k (crisper white).

I actually did mix a blue party bulb with the 5000k bulb once for a short while, it actually looked pretty nice, though I don't think the blue did much if anything for the plants. I'd suggest looking for a 6500k-6700k daylight bulb though, if what you have are the 5000k- ones.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
fantastic bulbs...

you can choose your wattage when you get there. they sell these at walmart with the regular bulbs in the light isle, not the fish section. there's 2 versions. the ones with thinner tubes are $10 for a 2 pack. the t3's with the thicker tubes are $5 for a 2 pack.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store