Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. loser

DIY driftwood piece

Nope, not rotted. Split it myself from an ash tree a few years ago, been kept nice and dry. Surprised I didn't see it the first time.
  2. loser

DIY driftwood piece

Was grabbing wood for the campfire and saw this. Going to soak/bleach it now. Just thought it was a cool piece and wanted to share.
  3. loser

Power Outage! What to do?

Also, I 2nd the opinion not to rinse filter media after, especially with chlorinated tap water. The bacteria colonies will still be alive after a few hours.
  4. loser

Power Outage! What to do?

This is what I do. 400W inverter I got for $50. (This was years ago, they're cheaper now). I run the car for 15 minutes every 2 hours, and run the filters (& heaters if it's cold) Of course this won't work if you live in a 4th floor apartment. But I would run an extension up to a 2nd floor...
  5. loser

No not now! (just venting)

She bought a new heater for the tank she set up (which I assume means she broke the old one):rofl: And...forgot to plug it in. My angelfish died :( *sigh* so we're even lol (no, not really)
  6. loser

She was thanked profusely, flowers are a good idea. Thanks all! She's been talking about installing hardwood floors for a couple years now, and since the carpet's ruined... Thanks for keeping me sane gang!
  7. loser

I'm away on business for another month, and the tank in the living room (which my wife hates) sprung a leak. She did right by me and relocated the fishies to a spare tank I had (I thought she was gonna flush 'em for a minute). But she has ammo now. ****.
  8. loser

Will this stand be good enough?

Sounds like it should work...a 29 gallon tank, when full + rocks/decor, will be about 250 pounds. Do you know anyone roughly that size? Have 'em stand on it & see if it flexes, makes noise, etc. I know, a bit low-tech, but work with what ya got.
  9. loser

Driftwood from a river?

My MO has been to use wood I've found on land (not waterlogged). On the plus: Any nasties/parasites/bugs are not aquatic ones. On the minus: It takes a while to get waterlogged & sink in the tank. I still bleach or boil. For large pieces too big to fit into a pot to boil, I use a rubbermaid...
  10. loser

Help with ideas for stocking daughters 10 gallon

On those HOB heaters the heating element is usually at the bottom of the 'test tube', that gets much hotter than the top part.
  11. loser

302 gallon decor

Glabe has a great idea with epoxy...try this: remove the guitar pickups, pick guard, pots (dials), switches & neck, exposing the areas of untreated wood. Leave it all out in the sun on a hot day to expand. Mix up a batch of self-leveling epoxy (the kind they coat bar-tops with...here's a...
  12. loser

Wire in fake plants - safe?

I'd be more concerned with the dyes & 'color-fasteners' they use than the wire.
  13. loser

FREE RAOK SUBSWASSERTANG from 15043

Oooo! Pick me! Pick me! *waves arms in the air*
  14. loser

filter issues

No experience with aqueon, but usually when my impeller makes a horrible noise it's simply not seated properly, for me it's usually as simple as pushing it firmly down. If it doesn't go, it means I have hard water build-up/scaling. Remove filter, empty, take off the motor, and clean out the...
  15. loser

Trouble removing freshly cured silicone

Silicone-Be-Gone. I've never used it though, so can't give any feedback on its effectiveness.
  16. loser

Tax Dollars at work...my town did something right!

Every year we get an annual report on our drinking water quality, since everything is in the 'non-actionable' range (meets standards) it usually just says that. New format this year, with numbers on most minerals/contaminates, including nitrates at the point of origin. (10mg/l) Thanks water...
  17. loser

My new and improved 29 gallon

I love the 'carpet'. Would be great for breeding.
  18. loser

substrate

I definitely agree with the bleach. 10:1 mix (water:bleach) and stir it repeatedly. Then rinse as above with just water, several times. The last rinse add some dechlorinator @ 2 or 3 times the recommended dosage.
  19. loser

Best Substrate for Cory Catfish

If you're going plain back background, try a piece of black posterboard from the school/art supply section at your local chain pharmacy (cvs/walgreens on this coast). 99 cents & cut it to fit.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store